Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Linker failure using FirebasePushNotificationPlugin

PatMoranPatMoran GBMember ✭✭

I am using the FirebasePushNotificationPlugin for both iOS and Android. I can successfully build my iOS app and it runs fine and handles push notifications.
However when I try to archive the app for publication the linker fails as some Firebase related symbols are missing.
How can I get the linker to find the symbols.

Best Answer

• PatMoranPatMoran GBMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

The problem turned out to be that I was building for ARMv7+ARMv7s+ARM64.
    If I remove the ARMv7s architecture then the link was sussessful. It seems that some part of the Firebase objects does not support ARMv7s.

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

When we test the project on emulators the linker behavior is Don't Link by default. However, when it changed to real device the default setting is Link Framework SDKs Only.
    The third party plugins may be skipped when using this behavior.
    Try to follow this documentation to preserve the assemblies from linking:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/linker?tabs=macos#skipping-assemblies

• PatMoranPatMoran GBMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

The problem turned out to be that I was building for ARMv7+ARMv7s+ARM64.
    If I remove the ARMv7s architecture then the link was sussessful. It seems that some part of the Firebase objects does not support ARMv7s.