Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Forms

NavigationPage Icons

arturmullerarturmuller Member ✭✭✭
edited January 27 in Xamarin.Forms

I am trying to specify Icons for my bottom toolbar, I have the following code:

On Platform="Android" Value="@drawable/calendar-check"/

I download the icons from material design icons and got a package with the different sizes. I extracted them to respective folders in /Resources. So now I have a bunch of files in these folders, e.g. ic_calendar_check_grey600_18dp.png. How do I then address it in my code above? I have tried several different ways, such as

On Platform="Android" Value="@drawable/ic_calendar_check"/
On Platform="Android" Value="ic_calendar_check_grey600"/

And several other alternatives but I cant find what is the correct way to import the image/icon. Any tips? Currently Im focusing on Android. I am also not sure what "dp" version of the image to choose.

Best Answer

Answers

• LeoZhuLeoZhu Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28

you could put your images into the different drawable folders with the same name,like drawable-hdpi,drawable-xxhdpi ,drawable-xxhdpi ,drawable-xxxhdpi,it will select the image from the different drawable folder base on the android device resolutions

• arturmullerarturmuller Member ✭✭✭

But what would the filename of the image be? I have in these folders several images, such as calendar_check_black_18dp.png
    calendar_check_black_24dp.png
    calendar_check_black_36dp.png
    calendar_check_black_48dp.png

If I write
    On Platform="Android" Value="@drawable/calendar_check_black"/

It still does not display it

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

The files should all have the exact same name (calendar_check_black.png) and be placed in the appropriate folder for the size (drawable-hdpi, drawable-xhdpi, etc.).

Then in Forms, you reference either "calendar_check_black" or "calendar_check_black.png".

edited January 29

Is this possible on Android? I have placed all images the folders as you mentioned, and this is my code:

still no icons are displayed. This is located in the TabbedPage.Children tag

edited January 30

Show us the structure of the Resources folder in your Android project.

Side note, Page.Icon is obsolete, you should use Page.IconImageSource instead.

Hi @JoeManke , thanks for the reply!

This is my Resources folder, each of these folders (mipmap-hdpi, mipmap-mdpi etc) has an image file called "calendar_check_black.png". I took the icon with the highest "DP" value.

edited January 30

The mipmap directories are only for the app icon which is shown on the home screen. You should create drawable-hdpi, etc. and place the images there.

I created these folders and put the images there but still the icon does not show.

That was the problem, thank you @JoeManke !