Forum Visual Studio

Does Visual Studio 2017 (ver 15.9.16) work with Apple Development Certificates created in Xcode 11?

cderosecderose USUniversity ✭✭

Hello,

I was recently asked to do a build of my company's Xamarin Forms app. I haven't had to do this in some time so I made sure everything on my personal Macbook Pro was updated to the latest versions. My Macbook Pro is running macOS Mojave (ver 10.14.6). Xcode 11 is installed. Visual Studio for Mac 2019 (ver 8.3 - build 1805) is installed w/all the latest updates from the stable channel.

On my work laptop, I'm running Visual Studio 2017 (ver 15.9.16). This is where I'm loading our Xamarin Forms app and pairing it with my Macbook Pro.

When I first attempt to pair my Macbook Pro, I see the following:

I selected Install and it was successful. Next, I see the following message. I selected Install and it was successful.

After installing the items above, pairing is successful.

Next, I checked the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles screen for my Apple developer account. All of my company's signing certificates were expired.
In Xcode, I went to Preferences -> Accounts and selected Manage Certificates for my company. I created a new Apple Development certificate and a new Apple Distribution certificate. They appeared on the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles screen as expected. I then created a development provisioning profile so I could deploy to my phone (iPhone Xs). I downloaded the provisioning profile to my Macbook Pro.

I can see the newly created certificates (both public and private key) in Keychain.

Back in Visual Studio 2017, I attempted to select the newly created development certificate under Manual Provisioning -> Signing Certificate. The new signing certificates do not appear. This is all I see.

Baffled, I created a barebones app in Xcode with the same bundle identifier our Xamarin Forms app uses. For the debug build I was able to select my newly created development signing certificate and corresponding provisioning profile that makes use of it. I was able to build barebones app and deploy to my phone.

So my question is, am I missing something here or does Visual Studio 2017 simply not recognize Apple Development and Apple Distribution certificates? Those are what Xcode 11 created by default via Manage Certificates. Back on the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles screen, these are the options:

Will Visual Studio 2017 only recognize the iOS ones?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answer

• cderosecderose USUniversity ✭✭
    edited October 2019 Accepted Answer

VS 2017 apparently does not recognize the new certificates created by Xcode 11 when managing certificates. It only appears to recognize the older certificates (iOS development & iOS distribution).

Current work around is to install Xcode 10.3 side by side with Xcode 11. Have Xcode 10.3 be called Xcode in the Applications folder and rename the latest version to Xcode 11 (formerly just Xcode). * This is required for compilation to work...if not you'll see an error.

I used the "Manage Certificates" functionality in Xcode 10.3 to create new development and distribution certificates. They appear on the Certificates, Identifiers, & Profiles screen under certificates as expected. Created some provisioning profiles making use of them. In VS 2017, the certificates are detected and available when manually selecting a signing certificate and distribution profile.

Answers

edited October 2019 Accepted Answer

VS 2017 apparently does not recognize the new certificates created by Xcode 11 when managing certificates. It only appears to recognize the older certificates (iOS development & iOS distribution).

Current work around is to install Xcode 10.3 side by side with Xcode 11. Have Xcode 10.3 be called Xcode in the Applications folder and rename the latest version to Xcode 11 (formerly just Xcode). * This is required for compilation to work...if not you'll see an error.

I used the "Manage Certificates" functionality in Xcode 10.3 to create new development and distribution certificates. They appear on the Certificates, Identifiers, & Profiles screen under certificates as expected. Created some provisioning profiles making use of them. In VS 2017, the certificates are detected and available when manually selecting a signing certificate and distribution profile.

• NickKovalskyNickKovalsky USMember ✭✭✭

Have same problem with vs 2019, how are we supposed to publish anything now under Windows using new xcode 11 certificates? Thanks.

• NickKovalskyNickKovalsky USMember ✭✭✭

Using this workaround for development cert/profile atm: https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/issues/6486

Interesting. I did open a bug ticket with Microsoft about this. They said Xcode 11 is supported by VS 2019 and they wouldn’t be updating VS 2017 to resolve issue.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/759805/visual-studio-2017-doesnt-detect-new-signing-certi.html
  • PatMoranPatMoran GBMember ✭✭

Does Visual Studio for Mac recognize Xcode 11 profiles. I have a similar problem when using Visual Studio for MAC 8.4.2