Does one need a certificate even when running on iPhone simulator

I'm new to app development and I'm trying out the MvvmCross (6.4.1) tutorial building a Xamarin.Forms.iOS application with a paired mac running Xcode 11.2. On building I got the following error:

"No valid iOS code signing keys found in keychain. You need to request a codesigning certificate from developer.apple.com."

Does that mean you already have to undergo all the hassle with the apple developer program even if you only want to test-run on a simulator?

Best Answer

Answers

• tousif03razatousif03raza INMember ✭✭
    edited December 2019

@wosi You don't need any certificate to run the application on a simulator.

Follow below steps to run it on a simulator:

1. Right-click on 'iOS' project & goto 'Options'.
    2. Select the 'iOS Bundle Signing' option from SideMenu.
    3. Choose 'Signing Identity' to 'Developer(Automatic)'.
    4. Choose 'Provisioning Profile' to 'Automatic' & click 'OK'.

• wosiwosi Member ✭✭

Thanks for your response - but your solution implies that you need a "provisioning profile". But as it says in "medium.com/@abhimuralidharan/what-is-a-provisioning-profile-in-ios-77987a7c54c2" (sorry I'm not allowed to post links) one needs to download the profile from the developer account (which is not for free, right?). So one has to pay $99 /year just to get that provisioning profile!!!

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

So one has to pay $99 /year just to get that provisioning profile!!!

Yes , without provisioning profile you can't deploy to device and publish to apple store .

• tousif03razatousif03raza INMember ✭✭

@wosi said:
    Thanks for your response - but your solution implies that you need a "provisioning profile". But as it says in "medium.com/@abhimuralidharan/what-is-a-provisioning-profile-in-ios-77987a7c54c2" (sorry I'm not allowed to post links) one needs to download the profile from the developer account (which is not for free, right?). So one has to pay $99 /year just to get that provisioning profile!!!

My solution only implies for Simulator.

For deploying the application on a Simulator, you don't need a provisioning profile for that.

For deploying it on a device or publishing the app to Apple Store, you'll need a provisioning profile & you have to get the Apple developer account.