What are you using for logging?

KrumelurKrumelur ✭✭DEUniversity ✭✭

What are you guys using for logging in your x-plat projects?
My ideal solution would be something that allows local logging, viewing and transmission of the logs to a server / e-mail recipient.

Answers

• DerekBeattie.6675DerekBeattie.6675 ✭✭ US ✭✭

Debug logging or crash reporting? For debug logging I use what is in MvvmCross but it would be nice to have a xplat solution that would let me see debug or trace from the device. I think nlog might do that but I haven't looked at it for a while.

For crash reporting I've been using hockeyapp.net.

• KrumelurKrumelur ✭✭ DEUniversity ✭✭

Can the logging part be extracted from MvvmCross and used outside of MvvmCross?

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher ✭✭✭ GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

Was listening to the podcast ref raygun.io for exception logging, and should be relatively easy to implement cross platform. Plan on testing it, although not sure how their per app pricing model fits cross platform variants though

@Krumelur No, it's standard debug/trace logging to the console.

Don't know if MetroLog would work with iOS and Android.
    https://github.com/mbrit/MetroLog

• BizziBizzi USMember

Im new on Xamarin but i had used TestFlight for my Android and iOS Apps (http://testflightapp.com/). Its free and really awesome.

• OrenNovotnyOrenNovotny ✭✭ USMember, Insider, Beta, University ✭✭

I hadn't needed it yet, but I can add iOS and Android support to MetroLog if there's demand for it.

I've been using ReactiveUI lately and it has an ILogger. From there, it's easy to wire up NLog/log4net/whatever to it and use whatever logging framework you like in a particular platform.

Where MetroLog excels is when doing mixed WinJS/C# development, so that you can see both sides debug output in the debug window.