Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

WKWebView console log handling?

novacactusnovacactus Member
edited November 2019 in Xamarin.Forms

Is there a way to simply programmatically view console logs generated inside of a WKWebView on both Android and iOS? I cannot find a reliable solution for this and need it for production logging. I am currently running a web app that I do not own in the WKWebView, so I cannot modify any of the web content.

https stackoverflow com a 50755886
This is the only viable solution I have found so far, but it requires overwriting the console log functionality in JS. This "theoretically" should work, but is definitely not the most ideal solution given that I do not own the JS source code I am running within the WKWebView.

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

WKWebView is a webkit control of iOS and we can only consume it on the iOS platform.
    https://stackoverflow.com/a/50755886/8354952
    This thread has explained how to implement it on WKWebView. If you want a translation for Xamarin here it is:

[assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(MyWebView), typeof(CustomWebViewRenderer))]
    namespace App.iOS
    {
        public class CustomWebViewRenderer : ViewRenderer<MyWebView, WKWebView>, IWKScriptMessageHandler
        {
            WKWebView _wkWebView;
            protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs<MyWebView> e)
            {
                base.OnElementChanged(e);

if (Control == null)
                {
                    var config = new WKWebViewConfiguration();
                    config.UserContentController.AddScriptMessageHandler(this, "logging");
                    _wkWebView = new WKWebView(Frame, config);
                    SetNativeControl(_wkWebView);

string js = @"var console = { log: function(msg){window.webkit.messageHandlers.logging.postMessage(msg) } };";
                    _wkWebView.EvaluateJavaScript(new NSString(js), (result, error) =>
                    {
                        if (error != null)
                            Console.WriteLine($"installation of console.log() failed: {0}", error);
                    });
                }
                if (e.NewElement != null)
                {
                    // Url is a custom bindable property of MyWebView
                    // I used it here to load the webpage
                    Control.LoadRequest(new NSUrlRequest(new NSUrl(Element.Url)));
                }
            }
            public void DidReceiveScriptMessage(WKUserContentController userContentController, WKScriptMessage message)
            {
                Console.WriteLine(message.Body);
            }
        }
    }

And WebView on Android can print the log information directly.