Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Why does setting page's BindingContext not work?

I'm trying to bind my view model to my page, which is simple like this:

public partial class DetailPage : ContentPage
    {
        public DetailPage ()
        {
            InitializeComponent();            
        }

public DetailPage(Event _event)
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            BindingContext = new DetailPageViewModel(_event);

}
    }

public class DetailPageViewModel: INotifyPropertyChanged
    {
        private Event _event;
        public Event Event 
        {
            set
            {
                _event = value;
                PropertyChanged?.Invoke(this, new PropertyChangedEventArgs(nameof(Event)));
            }
            get => _event;
        }
        public DetailPageViewModel(Event theEvent)
        {
            Event = theEvent;
        }

public event PropertyChangedEventHandler PropertyChanged;

}

Event is a simple model class in my case, it has a Name property.

I just wanna bind its name to a label.

<Label x:Name="nameLabel" Text="{Binding Event.Name}" FontSize="Title"/>

AfterI start debugging, I cannot see the content bound to the view. I get a error in the output.
Binding: 'Event' property not found on 'Eventuality.Event', target property: 'Xamarin.Forms.Label.Text'

Why does this happen? Didn't I bind the view model rather than an Event? Did I bind it in a wrong way?

What should I do if I want to bind a view model for the whole page?

Best Answers

Answers

• GarliCatGarliCat Member ✭✭

@ColeX said:
    There is another Event class existing in your project , the compile does not know which Event should be taken .

Change the class name of your custom Event , give it a strong Name MyEvent and try again .

Thank you for your reply. I reviewed my code and I'm sure there's not any other type named Event.

I tried as what you suggested, I changed the name of the Event type, even changed the view model's Event property name. I still get this error.

And I found it works if I set the binding as {Binding Name} instead of {Binding Event.Name}.

But I think I'm binding a view model and not an Event if I'm not wrong...I'm kinda confused.

@ColeX said:
    According to the binding path , it should be Event.Name not Name , your code works fine on my side ,check my sample .

This is weird. It's supposed to work like that. Anyway, I'm gonna review my code again to find out what's been wrong.

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2019

Have you tried my project ? Did it work or not ?

edited October 2019

@ColeX said:

Sorry to reply late. Your project works well. But I just don't know why mine doesn't work.😂

Update: Finally I got some time to check the code. And I found that this happened because another guy set the binding context to something else in somewhere else in the code and I wasn't told about that. WTF! 🙃

Whatever. Thank you bro!, very much.

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@GarliCat said:

@ColeX said:

Sorry to reply late. Your project works well. But I just don't know why mine doesn't work.😂

Update: Finally I got some time to check the code. And I found that this happened because another guy set the binding context to something else in somewhere else in the code and I wasn't told about that. WTF! 🙃

Whatever. Thank you bro!, very much.

Please mark it as answered .