Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

is CleanMyMac X a solution for the detritus created by Xcode and Xamarin development

LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭

I'm trying to keep my drive size down to make it easily clonable to a thumb drive.

What's the best tool for clearing out caches and detritus created by Xcode and Xamarin development?

I just bought CleanMyMac X and it told me it would remove about 5GB of VS Mac install files. It seemed to do so, but my 'free space' actually decreased on the drive immediately after it reported 6.3GB of cleanup, so ... maybe I'll have to return it? Haven't gotten a response back from the developers yet.

The folks on Apple community discussion seem Very negative about CleanMyMac X, but it's been around for quite a while?

I've heard of OnyX and I'm interested in what is commonly used (if anything at all) for cache and detritus clean on 10.14.6+?

I would guess that the simplest script I could run to initiate cleanup of MacOS by the OS itself would be preferred? One less thing to install and to go sideways!!!

Answers

• RobertDalyRobertDaly USMember ✭✭

I have this problem every time I add an image to my build. I have used xattr to both view and remove the extended attributes. Here is the page that describes xattr : http://xahlee.info/comp/OS_X_extended_attributes_xattr.html. I typically delete the obj and bin directories first then run xattr -cr in the project directory. In some cases the recursion doesn't go down to the bin and obj directories. There is also a Mac App that has high rating that may be even easier (I just saw, but I haven't used it yet - I will). It is called CleanDetritus. Hope this helps.

• LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭

Yes, I saw that CleanDetritus app by accident while searching Google - that does sound very useful! Thanks!

I'm just getting back into development after taking 2 years off for medical issues and have never really used Xcode except to compile a few sample apps.

I ?believe? I'd read that Xcode (in addition to the xattr issue you mentioned), leaves a bunch of temp files that can accumulate to considerable size over time?

My real concern (maybe imagined only?) is with a workflow to get rid of all the temp files created during Xamarin development, including the leftover installers in Users/MyName/Library/Caches/VisualStudioInstaller and Users/MyName/Library/Caches/VisualStudio when we update Visual Studio for Mac.

Does anyone have a workflow or scripts for this - or is this even worth messing with?

• DannyCDannyC US ✭✭✭✭

@RobertDaly said:
    I have this problem every time I add an image to my build. I have used xattr to both view and remove the extended attributes. Here is the page that describes xattr : http://xahlee.info/comp/OS_X_extended_attributes_xattr.html. I typically delete the obj and bin directories first then run xattr -cr in the project directory. In some cases the recursion doesn't go down to the bin and obj directories. There is also a Mac App that has high rating that may be even easier (I just saw, but I haven't used it yet - I will). It is called CleanDetritus. Hope this helps.

Curious, what software do you use to image your Mac? On Windows using Macrium Reflect 7 and loving it.

• LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭

Carbon Copy https://bombich.com/ - I've been using it for over 12 years and I trust it.

I believe Acronis https://www.acronis.com will also backup a Mac, but to a single file or multiple small files. I've used that on Windows for about 10 years, but never on a Mac.

Carbon copy makes a fully bootable drive and copies file by file (just the ones that have changed), and of course can verify each file if desired. I believe it can also backup an entire drive or a folder to a single file if desired, but that's not how I use it. Nice to be able to just boot up a CC SSD and then you Know it works!

• DannyCDannyC US ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @LesCandle will check it out.

• RobertDalyRobertDaly USMember ✭✭
    I too, use Carbon Copy Cloner and love it. But if you’re asking about editing images I use photoshop elements.