Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Change status bar colour on iOS13

Before iOS 13 I could change the status bar colour using the following bit of code:

UIView statusBar = UIApplication.SharedApplication.ValueForKey(new NSString("statusBar")) as UIView;
        if (statusBar.RespondsToSelector(new ObjCRuntime.Selector("setBackgroundColor:")))
        {
            statusBar.BackgroundColor = UIColor.Clear.FromHex(0x323232);
            statusBar.TintColor = UIColor.White;
            app.StatusBarStyle = UIStatusBarStyle.BlackOpaque;
        }

However, on iOS13 I get the following runtime error

Objective-C exception thrown. Name: NSInternalInconsistencyException Reason: App called -statusBar or -statusBarWindow on UIApplication: this code must be changed as there's no longer a status bar or status bar window. Use the statusBarManager object on the window scene instead.

Any idea on how to change the status bar on iOS13?

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You can't obtain the status bar through the ValueForKey on iOS 13. You could consume the code below to find or create the view:

UIView GetStatusBar()
    {
        UIView statusBar;
        if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.CheckSystemVersion(13, 0))
        {
            int tag = 123; // Customize this tag as you want
            UIWindow window = UIApplication.SharedApplication.Windows.FirstOrDefault();
            statusBar = window.ViewWithTag(tag);
            if (statusBar == null)
            {
                statusBar = new UIView(UIApplication.SharedApplication.StatusBarFrame);
                statusBar.Tag = tag;
                statusBar.BackgroundColor = UIColor.Red; // Customize the view

window.AddSubview(statusBar);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            statusBar = UIApplication.SharedApplication.ValueForKey(new NSString("statusBar")) as UIView;
        }           
        return statusBar;
    }

• Hi LandLu thanks for quick response but its not work for my IOS 13.0.
    I put your code in app delegate there is no error occur but also not showing status color as per my..

• Ludo11100Ludo11100 Member ✭✭

Same, since the update exeption thrown

• thisismyselfthisismyself Member ✭✭

@LandLu Thanks for this piece of code. But where would be the correct place to call this code? I tried in bool FinishedLaunching(UIApplication app, NSDictionary options), it created a new UIView object but nothing was colored in any other way than before.