Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

New Problem Running App after trying Hot Reload in VS 16.3 Preview. "Couldn't connect debugger."

RobertTRobertT USMember ✭✭

Right when I was excited about the new Hot Reload feature in VS 16.3 Preview a new ugly debug error has now cropped up and I can't get rid of it. Installed VS 16.3 Preview and tried Hot Reload and it is great!! But now am getting this error when I try to debug almost every time.

"Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0
Couldn't connect debugger. You can see more details in Xamarin Diagnostic output and the full exception on logs."

I have even gone back to using VS 16.2.3 and now getting the error there too. I also updated the NuGet package and got Xam.Forms 4.2 which is needed for the Hot Reload feature. If I do a full rebuild I can run my app once but the second time I get the error.

Are others getting this? My development is almost at a standstill.

• RobertTRobertT USMember ✭✭

Still trying to trouble shoot this. Rolled back to an older branch using VS 16.2.3 and still having issues.

It seems like something got loaded onto my phone and deleting the app and re-deploying is not fixing.

Here are some of the Debug outputs. Maybe there is someone who can provide insight with this.

09-04 17:41:48.728 W/monodroid(24554): Trying to load sgen from: /data/app/com.ShopEZ-4rTsOIUwIO-IgKXgLwvCYQ==/lib/arm64/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    09-04 17:41:48.728 W/monodroid(24554): Trying to load sgen from: /data/user/0/com.ShopEZ/files/.override/links/libmonosgen-2.0.so
    09-04 17:41:48.730 W/monodroid-debug(24554): Trying to initialize the debugger with options: --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,loglevel=0,address=127.0.0.1:29266,server=y,embedding=1
    09-04 17:41:48.731 W/monodroid-debug(24554): Accepted stdout connection: -1
    09-04 17:41:48.731 F/monodroid-debug(24554): Error accepting stdout and stderr (127.0.0.1:29267): Address already in use
    Could not connect to the debugger.

OK. I uninstalled the Mono Shared Runtime from my phone. Have run my app about 5 times and working so far. Crossing fingers....

The Mono Sh RT version now is 9.3.99-23. I didn't write down what I had before I uninstalled...

The continuing saga... I did re bring everything back to Xam.Forms V 4.2 and ran again in both VS 16.2.3 and VS 16.3 Preview. Ran fine in VS 16.2.3 which loaded Mono Shared Runtime of V9.3.99-23.

Then went to VS 16.3 Preview with Hot Reload on. New Mono Shared Runtime V 9.5.0-5 installed. The problems with unable to debug are back. Mono Shared Runtime V 9.5.0-5 IS BAD!!!!

I will try to report this to VS TEAM but if others have a good avenue please pursue also.