Install VS2017 for Mac on Mojave?

NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭

Is it possible to install VS2017 for mac on Mojave? If yes, how?

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Truth be told it barely worth your time. VSMac is so limited...
    Install VMWare Fusion then install Visual Studio for Windows in that.

• NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 18

How is VSMac limited? Been using it for over 5 years now and it has been working great until now. I use VS Windows via Parallels occasionally for some old UWP projects but I rather work directly on my Mac. You have to use a Mac to build iOS apps anyway and using 2 systems when you can do it with 1 seems inefficient to me. Besides, you can't make/run UITests on VS Windows. So to me, VS Windows is limited.

Your call. VSMac is so severely limited in its debugging I don't think speed really matters.

Besides, you can't make/run UITests on VS Windows.

Huh. We have a 3 man team who's purpose in life is doing this. So clearly ya can. Not my job so I can't tell you what they're doing. I just know they add UIAutomationID to everything and are responsible for all that.

Last time I tried I wasn't able to run UITest on an iOS simulator from VS Windows and according to this issue you still can't. Running (and therefor creating) UITests on Android is dreadfully slow (maybe that is why you need a 3 man team to do just that ;)). Anyway, I prefer to create them on iOS, using VSMac, after that I make sure they also work on Android.

edited August 18

Okay... So very specifically to TO AN IOS SIMULATOR

No offense but... grown ups don't do that sh!t. I do this professionally, in a company in the United States, not on my coffee table. We have real physical devices.

Personally... Get a mac for the 1 or 2 people that are doing the UI Automated testing. Let the rest of team code on Windows machines. 95%+ of development has nothing to do with automated UI testing. (Honestly 75% of of an app has nothing to do with UI unless its a game etc.) -

Automated UI testing is what... 1 week at the end of the version development cycle after all the logic and functionality testing has passed QA. So probably 1 week at the end of the quarter to regression test that all the new work hasn't broken anything. It sure isn't every team member ever day for the entirety of the project or anything.

You can't run an iOS UITest on a real device either from Windows, you have to use a Mac, so grown ups have to do that sh!t.

@ClintStLaurent before you start "back-flagging" my posts: I didn't flag your post, it wasn't me. Funny how people who don't take part in the conversation feel the need to flag...

@NielsCup said:
    Funny how people who don't take part in the conversation feel the need to flag...

Thanks for that. I seem to recall that we used to be able to see who lodged those flags. Now we can't. Yet another reason I've basically left this site unless I am extremely bored at work.

Its bad enough that every snowflake and Mumbai outsourcer and kitchen-table-whacker out there get's upset when you don't give them copy/paste code they can put in their application and claim as there own - but there is no recourse when someone flags your post as abuse when it isn't - and now they can do it totally anonymously which will only embolden the cowards. It was bad enough when you could call them out on their actions and hold them accountable. But if you can't even respond with

Hey so-and-so, what gives? You flagged my post as abuse because I said you should read the documentation. Really?

Then it is just going to lead to more and more such actions which is going to further degrade the neighborhood.

We asked many times that some safeguards be put in place. Such as the very simple: You can't flag a comment in a thread that you aren't participating in. All fallen on deaf ears. Or more embarrassingly the answer from Microsoft was

We're using a third party eco-system for the site. We don't have that capability.

Really? Microsoft doesn't even use their own software to run their own forum!? Sure, lets all flock behind them like a bunch of lemmings.

That's why I've all but left the site. Since Microsoft seems to have abandoned this community it is slowly eroding. Its like a neighborhood that once was nice and now every building has been tagged and graffiti everywhere. Kinda sad. I have 1.4k likes here... literally hundreds of answered questions which means at least an equal number of threads that weren't officially questions to be marked as answered - And people like that chicken-sh!t anonymous abuse tagger can drive active mentors such as myself and a half dozen others (that I know of) away. Those of use that actually trained, certified through the now dead Xamarin University, get paid 6 figures to write Xamarin apps, no longer want to stay here and put up with these kids - meaning the site is becoming the untrained asking questions of the untrained. Yeah, that's going to make for high quality content.

Maybe it was just some oversensitive overhead dude at MS who flagged your post: either participate or get lost.

Since Microsoft seems to have abandoned this community it is slowly eroding.

Agree. I've complained about this at Microsoft myself. Documentation and forum is scattered and incomplete since Microsoft took over Xamarin. It has become a complete mess. They removed the page where you could download each and every Xamarin version. This way they force developers, who pay to use Xamarin, to test their rubbish so they can get rid of their own testers.

Unfortunately, Xamarin updates themselves are getting worse every time, breaking stuff that worked before. This is the whole reason I even had to ask this stupid question... This happened before Microsoft took over Xamarin but then you could ask the question here, log a bug and downgrade to the previous version again, no problem, only an hour or so wasted.

I am currently mailing about these issues with a few people from Microsoft and they are looking in to it. I have heard that many times before so I sure hope they finally will.

edited August 23

@NielsCup said:
    They removed the page where you could download each and every Xamarin version. This way they force developers, who pay to use Xamarin, to test their rubbish so they can get rid of their own testers.

Well... With Xamarin.Forms being a nuget that can be downgraded quite easily. Or do you mean the Xamarin integration with Visual Studio; so you can't downgrade Xamarin without downgrading Visual Studio. I'm torn on that. At some point one has to accept that having well integrated tools on the level we keep asking for means they have to actually be integrated.

This way they force developers, who pay to use Xamarin,

Well - Xamarin isn't paid for any more. It used to be. And I liked that it was. It was the first filter keeping the uneducated and lazy out of it. If you or your company pay for it then they are going to train you so they get their money's worth: Its that simple. Now that it is free with the free version of Visual Studio you have every schmuck that can bang on a keyboard wanting to get rich on 99cent apps they think they can build like legos using free snippets they gather off the web, without investing any time or learning any level of skills.

There is no easy way to downgrade VS for Mac to an earlier version anymore. They removed the download page where you could download the installer for each version of VS, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.Mac, .netsdk, etc. If you upgraded VS and it appears to be broken you have to find someone at MS who can send you a link and then still hope you will be able to find all the correct and matching sdk's, this cost days.

Xamarin is only free under certain conditions, for one: only if you work on your own software. So for most professionals it is not free. Also certain tools, like profiler, are only available for enterprise users.