reccomendations for Android test device - 7" tablet?

JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

I'm working on my first Android project, and need to get a device to use for testing. The new Nexus 7 looks ideal, but I'd like to start with something cheaper.

As an Android newbie the choice is pretty overwhelming. Is there anything you'd recommend, or specifically warn me to stay away from? Asus has the Memo Book which is similar to the Nexus 7, but cheaper, and there are a lot of no-name import tablets available too.

Suggestions, recommendations, or warnings appreciated!

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

I've always had the best luck when I stick with the Nexus family of devices. Have you considered getting something pre-owned?

• BradleyBradley USMember ✭✭✭

Stay away from the no name cheapo stuff. They are GARBAGE for the most part. We use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" and Nexus 7 (2012) here at work for 7" testing. The Samsung's resolution (1024 x 600) is good for testing resources with the sw600dp qualifier. If your budget only allows for one then stick with the nexus 7. It's a better device (processor, resolution, etc).

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Nexus 7 :)

• Along with the cheapo stuff mentioned by @Bradley, if you want to use bluetooth, I'd also avoid anything from Lenovo - we found they use a different software for Bluetooth than the standard in every other device we've tested, and this caused us problems with code which we knew worked (as we'd tested on other tablets)

• NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭

I just bought an Asus Memo Pad but I can't find any usb drivers for it. Any suggestions? I guess I should have read this post before I bought the tablet...

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Nexus 7 even the old one is lovely. That is what I own.