Video is not played in iOS project

jstuardojstuardo ✭✭Member ✭✭

Hello,

I have used Plugin.MediaManager in my Xamarin.Forms application. It works perfectly in Android project, but in iOS project it does not.

I have added

VideoViewRenderer.Init();

in AppDelegate, and this is the code in the view:

async void PlayStop_Clicked(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
        {
            if (this.BtnPlayStop.Text == "Start Video")
            {
                string video = Path.Combine(_videoPath, this.viewModel.Item.Video);

if (File.Exists(video))
                {
                    await CrossMediaManager.Current.Play(video, MediaFileType.Video);

this.BtnPlayStop.Text = "Stop Video";
                }
            }
            else
            {
                await CrossMediaManager.Current.Stop();

this.BtnPlayStop.Text = "Start Video";
            }
        }

Code enters the first if, since button changes its text to 'Stop Video' but no video appears. The video is a local mp4 file.

As I told, this works perfect in Android.

What's wrong?

Thanks

Jaime

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Xamurai Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

If you want to display a video on the screen, I think you need to use VideoView:

<StackLayout>
        <mm:VideoView VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand" Source="http://clips.vorwaerts-gmbh.de/big_buck_bunny.mp4" ShowControls="False" />
    </StackLayout>

And I didn't find Play could access the MediaFileType how did you make it work on Android?

• jstuardojstuardo ✭✭ Member ✭✭

I am using VideoView, but the source is not set at design time, but at run time by using CrossMediaManager.Current.Play.

However, it worked finally.

What I did was:

Device.BeginInvokeOnMainThread(() => { _ = CrossMediaManager.Current.Play("file://" + video, MediaFileType.Video); });

The use of "file://" for a local file is important.

Regards
    Jaime

I have one more issue though:

In view constructor, I have this code:

string video = Path.Combine(_videoPath, this.viewModel.Item.Video);

if (File.Exists(video))
                {
                    MyVideo.Source = "file://" + video;
                }

That is there to start playing the video just when the page is shown. This works in iOS but not in Android. In Android, I have to press the button, which calls PlayStop_Clicked, to start playing the video. In iOS, video starts immediately.

What is wrong?

Regards
    Jaime

• LandLuLandLu Xamurai Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Maybe platform related. Add a play function below your source setting code.

This is the shared project. Since this works in iOS but not in Android, that play function should be called only when platform is Android. How can I check this? By mean of a run-time test or a preprocessor directive? How is this kind of task normally done?
  • TaylorDTaylorD ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

Xamarin.Forms gives you access to the platform you are currently running on. Use the code below to check if you are running on Android.

if (Device.RuntimePlatform == Device.Android)
    {
        // Play video
    }