Please select a valid device before running the application.

ejthayerejthayer USMember ✭✭

I am on a PC with latest version of VS 2017 trying to run the simple Fireworks tutorial from the Xamarin University. I am connected to my mac, it compiles with no errors, the iOS simulator is running. It keeps asking me to select a valid device before running the application.

My options at the top are: [Debug] [iPhoneSimulator] [> Simulator]

There does not seem to be an option anywhere to select a device. Please help this is getting very frustrating.

Best Answer

• ejthayerejthayer US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

OK, so I reinstalled both VS 2017 on the PC and Xcode on my mac and I have a proper device list now. I have not been able to get the simulator to actually run yet. It tries and fails and it takes a really long time to fail. One problem at a time I guess.

The best way to develop for a mac seems to be to actually do the programming on the mac, but the defeats the purpose of course since keeping a single code base for multiple platforms is the point.

I have to say, this is my first mac and so far it fails to impress. I was really hoping to find some cool feature and think to myself "What a cool idea!" but it does not live up to the hype.

Answers

• Zzz96Zzz96 Member ✭✭

@ejthayer Did you manage to resolve this issue? I'm currently facing it as well and I've updated and restarted everything but still no luck...

• nickomainenickomaine Member

I got the same issue, everything is updated to the latest. Anyone got any news on this?

• HymanZHANHymanZHAN Member

Same problem here. I can launch the iPhone simulator on my Mac via VS2017 on my PC, but no option to select from.

• ejthayerejthayer USMember ✭✭

I have not fixed it yet, if I do I will post her for sure. Seems like several people are having this problem so maybe it's a known issue they will have to put out a fix for. I was about to try to use 2015 instead and see if it had the problem but my computer decided to take a crap and now I have to deal with that.

• Zzz96Zzz96 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

I think the problem started after the latest macOS update. Before that everything was working fine, but after the update I had to reinstall Visual Studio and I haven't been able to deploy my app to an iOS simulator since. The only options visible now are 'Device', 'Simulator', and 'Live Player'. Previously there was a whole list of iPhone simulators.

Oh and the Xamarin remote simulator isn't launching as well.

• andrekibaandrekiba ITUniversity ✭✭

Same problem here...

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2018

One likely cause of this behavior is if your system auto-updated to Xcode 9.3:

(As a side note, I have started a discussion with the Xamarin.iOS team to recommend that Xamarin.iOS and Visual Studio provide a warning to users when a new incompatible version of Xcode is released on the App Store before the current version of Xamarin.iOS and Visual Studio is compatible with that version.)

• Zzz96Zzz96 Member ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Thank you, that would be very helpful!

• ejthayerejthayer USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

OK, so I reinstalled both VS 2017 on the PC and Xcode on my mac and I have a proper device list now. I have not been able to get the simulator to actually run yet. It tries and fails and it takes a really long time to fail. One problem at a time I guess.

The best way to develop for a mac seems to be to actually do the programming on the mac, but the defeats the purpose of course since keeping a single code base for multiple platforms is the point.

I have to say, this is my first mac and so far it fails to impress. I was really hoping to find some cool feature and think to myself "What a cool idea!" but it does not live up to the hype.

• eDaddyeDaddy Member

I was able to resolve this problem by upgrading visual studio to 15.6.7, this resolved the issue with xCode 9.3

I hope this works for the rest of you!

• BrianConradBrianConrad USMember ✭✭✭

If you get this message after provisioning an iPhone you may need to restart VS, open your project and then it will will list your device.

• DanNordquistDanNordquist USMember ✭✭

update xcode and vs and it works now

• vrizsemozvrizsemoz Member

Having same issue with xCode 9.4.x

• SuplanusSuplanus Member ✭✭

I have to reconnect after made changes to the Setting for "Windows Device Debugger"

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable...
    I have developed with .forms only for android since a longer time and now wanted to also create an iOS app.
    First, I have wasted more than a full day only to bring the connection between PC (VS2017) and the iMac (Xcode 10.1) to work again.
    Now, I'm not able to debug the App on the physical device (iPhone6 -> wasted another full day to try bring it to work -> without success) and have the same problem with the simulator as described here...
    I my case, I have to change the device to the physical device and the change back to simulator to be able to select a device in the simulator...