Xamarin.Forms - CommandParameter is always null

lachlanedmistonlachlanedmiston Member ✭✭
edited June 10 in Xamarin.Forms

When a button is clicked I'd like to pass a control's property to the view model using a Command / CommandParameter.

However, when I debug the Command method - Agree() - the CommandParameter I receive is always null. Do I have to set some sort of additional context in the button that calls the Command?

Xaml from view:

<controls:SignaturePad 
            x:Name="signaturePad"/>

<Button
            x:Name="agreeButton"
            Text="I AGREE"
            Command="{Binding AgreeCommand}"
            CommandParameter="{Binding Source={x:Reference signaturePad}, Path=Bytes}"/>

Command definition in ViewModel:

private readonly ReactiveCommand<byte[], Unit> agreeCommand;

public MyViewModel()
{
    this.agreeCommand = ReactiveCommand.CreateFromObservable<byte[], Unit>(
        this.Agree,
        canAgree,
        scheduler);
}

public ReactiveCommand<byte[], Unit> AgreeCommand => this.agreeCommand;

private IObservable<Unit> Agree(byte[] signature)
{
    this.signature = signature;  // Only ever see null here

// Other system.reactive code...
}

Best Answers

• JoeMankeJoeManke US ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I am very concerned that the bytes member you set in your setter is not referenced in your getter, and also the apparent lack of INotifyPropertyChanged.

• edited June 30 Accepted Answer

To provide some closure on this:

Joe was correct, the CommandParameter on my ReactiveCommand was null because my PCL class member was not being updated with changes from the native side.

I set up a timer on the native side to poll the UBSignaturePad. If the value changed I manually fired an event to notify the PCL project. Your comment got me thinking "What can I do to make this behave like a properly bound control?".

Thanks for your time.

Answers

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10

"{Binding Source={x:Reference signaturePad}, Path=Bytes}"

This suggests that there is a property named Bytes on the SignaturePad class. Does that property actually exist? Is it being set?

• lachlanedmistonlachlanedmiston Member ✭✭
    edited June 10

Hi Joe, the property exists in the signaturePad control with the following definition:

public byte[] Bytes
    {
        get
        {
            if (PollNativeEvent != null)
            {
                var result = PollNativeEvent(this, null);
                return result;
            }

return null; // Changing this to new byte[0] changes the CommandParameter value...
        }
        set => this.bytes = value;
    }

I've now found that when I modify line 11 of the property to return new byte[0] it will change the received CommandParameter to that value.

Line 11 is only ever called when the view initially loads - after that my renderer assigns a method to extract data from the native control.

I'm wondering if the value of the CommandParameter is being set on view load and not being updated after? I'll put together a test project to show more context.

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I am very concerned that the bytes member you set in your setter is not referenced in your getter, and also the apparent lack of INotifyPropertyChanged.

edited June 12

Hi Joe - I've used a two way binding in that class for another variable.

The issue with the Bytes property is that the native signature control doesn't raise events every time a stroke is added to the signature. It only raises events when a user adds the first stroke or when the control is cleared. So a binding doesn't update frequently enough to provide up to date data.

The UberSignature devs didn't anticipate their control being used in a Xamarin renderer. I have a 2.5 month old issue open with the Xamarin.SignaturePad project that prevents me from using that better suited library.

To get the signature image in bytes I feel like I have to use this approach - triggering an event through the renderer that talks to the native control. I am open to any other suggestions of getting this native data on demand.

Still working on getting en example project up and running.

edited June 30 Accepted Answer

To provide some closure on this:

Joe was correct, the CommandParameter on my ReactiveCommand was null because my PCL class member was not being updated with changes from the native side.

I set up a timer on the native side to poll the UBSignaturePad. If the value changed I manually fired an event to notify the PCL project. Your comment got me thinking "What can I do to make this behave like a properly bound control?".

Thanks for your time.