Xamarin.livereload: Can't find package

Hello,
I am trying to compile a project (developed by others) that relies on the xamarin livereload package. Unfortunately I can't get this package to install.

I have downloaded the VSIX file as described in the documentation and that installed successfully, but I get this message from nuget when I open the project solution:
Error NU1101 Unable to find package Xamarin.LiveReload. No packages exist with this id in source(s): Microsoft Visual Studio Offline Packages, NuGet

I googled this and tried a variety of fixes, notably:

I tried multiple variations of this line in the console: install-package xamarin.livereload -prerelease -project myprojectname
And I opened the package manager, set 'source' to 'All' and ticked the 'include prerelease' button. Livereload shows up in the Installed tab of the package manager but states 'not available in this source'.

What am I missing here? I presume I need to add a new source to nuget or something equally similar but I'm not sure what that source is. Any tips?

Best Answer

Answers

• Simon8Simon8 Member ✭✭

Have you followed the instructions here docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/xaml/live-reload ?

If yes, try closing your IDE, delete everything inside your 'bin' and 'obj' folders in all your projects, open the solution again, clean your solution, rebuild and try again.

• Simon_rp84Simon_rp84 Member

Thanks Simon. I did try to follow those instructions, yes. But to be honest there's not much on there that seems relevant, most of it is about putting livereload into a new project, not nuget being unable to find it in an existing project.

This was with a clean install of VS2017 community, btw. So no other projects. Deleting the contents of bin and obj for the project I'm trying to work with didn't help, unfortunately.

• YorkGoYorkGo CNMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say I'm impressed with LIveReload so far.

A couple thing that you could be hitting:
    1. Solution has to be .NET Standard, not PCL
    2. Xamarin Form 3.x - not 2.x
    3. The nuget is NOT on Nuget.org - you have to add the addition source specified in the instructions. I noticed it hung once when I did "Manage Nugets for Solution" - but behaved correctly when I selected just my .NET project and managed nugets just for the project. When you install the nuget you should get a popup showing a half-dozen other things its going to install and ask for your approval. If you don't get that popup- its not installing fully.

After that, here's a couple things I've noticed:
    If you have a component on a page and you change the XAML in the component and save - nothing changes. You have to make a change on the page itself and save that for the entire thing to push to your device. Add a space or return... anything to mark the page as dirty so you can save the change.

If you're in a team environment - the app installed on your tablet has to match the key from your machine. If you have a copy from 'Bob already installed, it won't update when you make changes. Delete it from the tablet then Solution | Rebuild on your machine. Then Solution | Deploy`

When it works, its pretty cool to watch your UWP, iOS and Android all update at the same time. I beat up the Xamarin folks pretty badly over previous attempts at previewers. Let me say this one is as good as those others were bad - and its still only in preview development stages. That WAY ENCOURAGING.

• Simon_rp84Simon_rp84 Member

@Simon8 said:
    Yeah, you probably need to add this:

us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/za/uy51bqc6w3vp.png

I can't post images or links since I'm new to the forum...

Thanks, that did the trick.

• JohnL1111JohnL1111 USMember ✭✭

I have been informed that the proper place for requesting features and voting for them is on https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com. (I guess this is where the Xamarin team looks to decide what the community wants.) So I went ahead and created a feature request for Live Reload: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/idea/618119/xamarinforms-live-hot-reload.html. Please feel free to vote for the feature if you request it too.