Xaml is using hidden property?

LeloLelo ✭✭✭Member ✭✭✭
edited June 13 in Xamarin.Forms

I have declared a property in a custom control called X that hides VisualElement.X property. Visual studio tells me I can use the new keyword if the hiding was intended - which it is:

public new double X
{
    get { return 0; }
    set { Console.WriteLine("I was not called with: " + value); }
}

When using the control in xaml - setting the X to something. The set is not called. Instead the VisualElement.X property is called - which throws an exception. Why is not the property I declared in the custom control used instead?

I also asked this on stackoverflow

Answers

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs to be a BindableProperty if it is on a control. They are using the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/xamarin.forms.visualelement.xproperty?view=xamarin-forms field using some reflection stuff for Bindings in XAML.

So you need your own BindableProperty field to do Bindings correctly.

• LeloLelo ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭

@AdamMeaney said:
    It needs to be a BindableProperty if it is on a control. They are using the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/xamarin.forms.visualelement.xproperty?view=xamarin-forms field using some reflection stuff for Bindings in XAML.

So you need your own BindableProperty field to do Bindings correctly.

I have noticed I can declare a property - that does not exist in parent :

public double AnotherX
    {
        get { return 0; }
        set { Console.WriteLine("Was called with: " + value); }
    }

And that setter is called.
    How come the BindableProperty is needed when hiding a property. Does xaml look for BindableProperty declarations first - and then for "normal" properties -afterwards?

I am not too familiar with the internals of the Xaml parsing, but I wouldn't be surprised. That's a pretty reasonable optimization to try and use the BindableProperties first, as that is what every property on a control should be.

edited June 13

But in this situation the BindableProperty ends up hiding a distant child property.

I was hoping I could use [observable] properties in my custom control with MobX instead of using BindableProperties.

If you have to manually define a bunch of properties anyway, you could always define an ObservableX property or something that you bind the X property to .

@AdamMeaney said:
    If you have to manually define a bunch of properties anyway, you could always define an ObservableX property or something that you bind the X property to .

Yes the following can be done:

public class MyCustomControl : ContentView // distant child of VisualElement
    {
        public MyCustomControl()
        {
            SetBinding(WidthRequestProperty, new Binding(path: "MyX", mode: BindingMode.TwoWay, source: this)); // can't set XProperty
        }
        public double MyX
        {
            get { return 0; }
            set { Console.WriteLine("I was set with: " + value); }
        }
    }

XProperty can't be set though - because it is readonly/has a private setter:
    from VisualElement:

public double WidthRequest
    {
        get { return (double)GetValue(WidthRequestProperty); }
        set { SetValue(WidthRequestProperty, value); }
    }

public double X
    {
        get { return _mockX == -1 ? (double)GetValue(XProperty) : _mockX; }
        private set { SetValue(XPropertyKey, value); }
    }

I would assume your code would be binding the other way in that case. Your X gets set from standard X, as that is not something you can change on a control.

You are trying to Bind X to YourX. Just flip it around.

If you are looking to change X, you need to figure out how that is done and write that into the PropertyChanged of YourX.

edited June 13

Yes the only way seem to be to create a BindableProperty, that will hide the VisualElement.XProperty and use PropertyChanged.