Forum Xamarin.Forms

Is there any way to zoom in and out an entire Xamarin app? (Not pinch zoom)

Has anyone found a way to zoom an entire app without using scale (which zooms but doesn't maintain components on the outside and there is no scroll and such.

• HotdogHeadHotdogHead Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

I don't think there is a way

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone found a way to zoom an entire app without using scale (which zooms but doesn't maintain components on the outside and there is no scroll and such.

Not sure what problem you're seeing with using Scale. We do it in our apps.
    You're not trying to apply it to the entire page, are you?
    You have to apply the scale factor on each control. Let each control resize itself. Then all the alignment properties are still honored.
    Easiest way is to to put a ZoomFactor property at the app level. Then all your controls can see it. And bind all of their individual Scales to that property.

and there is no scroll

Well, no you have put that in your XAML for the page. I mean you do have to make your XAML in a way that is expecting to be zoomed.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@PenutButterJellyHead said:

The accessibility settings on the device allow the user to do this. For example, on iOS, Settings>General>Accessibility shows a page with the options. Turn on Zoom, set the Maximum Zoom Level to an appropriate value (e.g. 2), then double-tap three fingers to zoom. The user can then drag three fingers to move round the screen. Android and Windows 10 have their own equivalents.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Yes but that means a few things:
    *The user even knows how to do this - which leaves out 70% of the users out there. I don't think the OP wants to train 10 million phone users how to use their phone beyond the 10% of its capabilities they currently understand.
    *Wouldn't meet the question requirement:

which zooms but doesn't maintain components on the outside

Which I interpret to mean

Zoom everything, but don't flow the page outside the boarders of the screen

Thus the desire to now scroll the page.

I think what he's saying is that he wants a magical way to increase the size of all the components of the page, but not scale the entire page where you can't see everything, and automagically flow all the up-sized controls into a scrollable view... All while the original XAML wasn't planned for scaling... has no bindings for scaling the individual controls... and the pages don't even have scrollviews on them (bad design not taking into a count different orientation or hardware).

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@ClintStLaurent said:
    *The user even knows how to do this - which leaves out 70% of the users out there.

I'd say it's more than 70%. I'm just presenting an alternative option, as there are some pitfalls/complexities in trying to implement in-app scaling of entire pages.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    *Wouldn't meet the question requirement:

which zooms but doesn't maintain components on the outside

I interpreted that differently.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    I think what he's saying is that he wants a magical way to increase the size of all the components of the page, but not scale the entire page where you can't see everything

I interpreted that differently.

• PenutButterJellyHeadPenutButterJellyHead USMember ✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent
    "I think what he's saying is that he wants a magical way to increase the size of all the components of the page, but not scale the entire page where you can't see everything, and automagically flow all the up-sized controls into a scrollable view... All while the original XAML wasn't planned for scaling... has no bindings for scaling the individual controls... and the pages don't even have scrollviews on them (bad design not taking into a count different orientation or hardware)."

Yes this actually. Its a request that was proposed to me and thought to myself wouldn't utilizing tools such as the display settings zoom in Windows work. The thought was maybe there was some similar feature in Xamarin.

• PenutButterJellyHeadPenutButterJellyHead USMember ✭✭✭

@JohnHardman I think you are right. I think utilizing the native display tools is probably the best option for what the user would want in this particular case. I guess the thought was possibly if there was a feature in Xamarin that would do somthing similar.