What exactly am I buying?

vtulinvtulin RUMember

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Xamarin is a framework for mobile devices that stands between hardware and software developed on C# using Mono libraries.

Right? So the license is for framework? I just wonder because I want to use Xamarin Studio to develop application for Linux using C# Mono libraries, in such a case what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

I don't work for Xamarin, but I'll try to answer. Their answers will take precedence over mine.

With regards to the frameworks, xamarin provides two things:

1. An api, compiler, IDE lugin, and probably a few other things that allow for C# developers to target iOS. This includes iPhone and iPad.

2. They provide the same thing for Android.

The IDE that most will use is Xamarin Studio. There is visual studio support, but that is a higher cost item. They have various versions ranging from free to thousands of dollars. For developers looking to experiment, I recommend that they start with the free version. If you are an Indie developer, start with with the $299 version (you need support for two platforms so it is effectively $600). If you are die hard visual studio developer or a business where integration with the VS ecosystem is important, then go with the versions that have VS integration.

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

If you want to develop Linux apps, then you just need the free Mono bits

http://www.mono-project.com