FirebaseInstanceIdService is deprecated and OnNewToken() not working

I want to implement OnNewToken() method from FirebaseMessagingService in my Xamarin Android project that uses Firebase Cloud Messaging since FirebaseInstanceIdService and OnTokenRefreshed() are deprecated.

I tried this

[Service]
[IntentFilter(new[] { "com.google.firebase.MESSAGING_EVENT" })]
public class MessagingService : FirebaseMessagingService
{
    const string TAG = "MyFirebaseMsgService";
    public override void OnNewToken(string token)
    {
        Log.Debug(TAG, "Refreshed token: " + token);
        SendRegistrationToServer(token);
    }

public void SendRegistrationToServer(string token)
    {
    }

}

But my OnNewToken() is not hit. What am I doing wroing. Do i need to include anything in my Android manifest file? I cannot find any documents specific to Xamarin Android about this update. Please help. Thank you so much.

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The onNewToken method will only be called when a new token is generated.
    Quite often (especially during development) your app already have generated a token before you added the service. So onNewToken will not be called.
    If you want to get the token directly , the class FirebaseInstanceId may be helpful.

• borge_rodsjoborge_rodsjo NOMember ✭✭

@prabesh I have the same code as you, and I have the same problem; OnNewToken(string token) is not being called. I'm using all of the newest packages like:

<package id="Xamarin.Firebase.Iid" version="70.1620.0-preview2" targetFramework="monoandroid90" />
    <package id="Xamarin.Firebase.Messaging" version="70.1710.0-preview2" targetFramework="monoandroid90" />
    <package id="Xamarin.Firebase.Config" version="70.1600.0-preview2" targetFramework="monoandroid90" />

In my manifest I have this:

<receiver android:exported="false" android:name="com.google.firebase.iid.FirebaseInstanceIdInternalReceiver"/>
    <receiver android:exported="true" android:name="com.google.firebase.iid.FirebaseInstanceIdReceiver" 
        android:permission="com.google.android.c2dm.permission.SEND">
        <intent-filter>
            <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE"/>
            <action android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.intent.REGISTRATION"/>
            <category android:name="${applicationId}"/>
        </intent-filter>
    </receiver>

Please, someone, look into the new way of getting FCM token

• SagarPanwalaSagarPanwala USMember ✭✭✭

@borge_rodsjo
    I personally didn't try , but this can be useful.
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/136721/firebaseinstanceidservice-is-deprecated-and-onnewtoken-not-working

If you try , please let us know the feedback.

• GautamJainGautamJain INMember ✭✭✭

Fixed in latest Xamarin.Firebase.Messaging (still in preview) - Version 70.1710.0-preview2

• DooksDooks ZAMember ✭✭✭

It is now May 2019. Did you figure it out @prabesh

I'm getting the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'void com.google.android.gms.internal.firebase-perf.zzq.zzb(boolean)' on a null object reference

I have tried adding the following to the Manifest:

<service android:name="com.google.firebase.components.ComponentDiscoveryService" >
      <meta-data android:name="com.google.firebase.components:com.google.firebase.iid.Registrar" android:value="com.google.firebase.components.ComponentRegistrar" />
    </service>