Is anyone looking into why the site is still broken after two months? - Unusable on Firefox (Win)

ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there's been other posts for this... So I know its come up before but there doesn't seem to be any progress.

Is anyone looking into why the site stopped being usable on various browsers?
Windows good on Chrome but doesn't work on Firefox: Can't submit, can't add images {more} maybe a javascript problem breaking all javascript functionality??
Macintosh I read it was the reverse, works on Firefox but not Chrome.

Its been a couple months now... Kinda sad that a technology site run by one of the largest tech companies on the planet doesn't work as well as some schmuck's WordPress site. Its getting tiresome having to right-click/copy-link from email and paste into Chrome over, and over, and over, and over.... (Firefox is my default browser)

CC: @DavidOrtinau

Best Answers

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno US Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

Clint, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will take a look and test this out asap and get with Vanilla who is our forum system that we use to see what the issue is. You can always email me: motz at microsoft dot com

• NMackayNMackay GB mod
    Accepted Answer

Don't see a lot happening so I won't be monitoring the site going forwards.

It's a great site but feels like the support isn't there commercially.

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@ClintStLaurent - Given that removing spam from the forum is largely done by volunteers (@NMackay, me, and possibly others), that the forum rules/guidelines haven't been updated despite requests, that new badges haven't been added despite requests, it seems that the powers-that-be at Xamarin largely overlook the forums. If the forums are unusable in some browsers, they either don't realise, or consider it really low priority). Possibly, all too busy in Gitter Chat to see the effort the community put in here (you certainly don't get MVP status supporting the community here. I did a search for MVPs using Xamarin.Forms as the criteria yesterday. I recognised two names from these forums. Two. I could count them on my thumbs). Yes, some of the Xamarin support team do now answer some of the questions people post, but if anybody other than community moderators (who have limited functionality available to them) are administering the forums, then they are keeping very quiet about what they are doing. Unfortunately, I believe @AlanClark is now doing other things. Who still remains is unknown to me.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3

@johnhardman

I agree 100%, especially with respect to the forum site being ignored to the point of neglect. Sad.
    :) Time to call Forum Protective Services and have the site placed with a foster-server :)

Mostly I was hoping the post would garner some attention... make the powers that be aware that people are still using the site... generally trying to hold out some hope that a nudge might cause someone to make a phonecall and say "Hey Bob, did you know this is busted?"

you certainly don't get MVP status supporting the community here. I recognized two names from these forums. Two. I could count them on my thumbs

Good thing it wasn't 3... After 2 I run out of thumbs and have to drop my britches.
    Its comments like that and speaking to others as adults/peers that will always keep me from any kind of official recognition. Having 1,300 likes and literally hundreds of questions marked as answers doesn't play any part in the popularity contest. I don't kiss arse, hand out participation trophies,fill my every post with praise & sunshine, and write copy/paste code for lazy off-shore outsourcers therefore I'm a putz.
    :) Its anti-Klingon discrimination :)

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Mostly I was hoping the post would garner some attention... make the powers that be aware that people are still using the site... generally trying to hold out some hope that a nudge might cause someone to make a phonecall and say "Hey Bob, did you know this is busted?"

Seriously, you might want to post a message in Gitter Chat. It's more likely to get noticed by somebody who might do something about it.

edited May 3

@JohnHardman said:
    Seriously, you might want to post a message in Gitter Chat.

I don't even know what Gitter Chat is. I have more things to do in life that keep up with which social media network is en vogue this week. ... Like get my 4th 3d printer assembled in order to increase production throughput speed.

I tagged someone at Microsoft in the original post. He gets paid to fix their issues. If he doesn't care enough to bring it to someone's attention, then why would/should I put in more effort and concern than their own people?

@ClintStLaurent said:

@JohnHardman said:
    Seriously, you might want to post a message in Gitter Chat.

I don't even know what Gitter Chat is. I have more things to do in life that keep up with which social media network is en vogue this week. ... Like get my 4th 3d printer assembled in order to increase production throughput speed.

I tagged someone at Microsoft in the original post. He gets paid to fix their issues. If he doesn't care enough to bring it to someone's attention, then why would/should I put in more effort and concern than their own people?

Yeah, I'd never heard of Gitter Chat until I spotted the link at the bottom of this page a few days ago. Unfortunately, with rare exceptions, I find tagging Microsoft people in the forum, and for some Microsoft people even messaging them direct through the forum, is rarely effective. I've defended Microsoft against the Microsoft-haters for more than 20 years, but even I find myself pretty disappointed by Microsoft over recent years (VS2015 was probably the start of the downward trend). Unfortunately, the surveys never ask the right questions...

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

Clint, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will take a look and test this out asap and get with Vanilla who is our forum system that we use to see what the issue is. You can always email me: motz at microsoft dot com

I will take a look and test this out asap and get with Vanilla who is our forum system that we use

That's very much appreciated @JamesMontemagno

You can always email me

Very open and generous. Honestly, I don't presume to directly email someone that I'm not personal friends or coworker of. The last thing you want is every Tom, Dick and Jane flooding your email. Posting on the site for something site related seems the most correct way to handle something about the site. Then the person/people responsible will know about it when they do their site visit and site-related tasks; and not be bothered with it when they close the site browser tab. Just like I don't call people on their home number at 7pm for something work related.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

I love the email! It is how I find out about things like this. I do try to monitor twitter, forums, SO, twitch, youtube, and of course email, but sometimes there are events that suck up the time so hard for me to catch everything.

Is the main issue seem to be images and just posting a reply on FF?

Testing on Edge Dev

@JamesMontemagno - Is there a group email address for all of the people who administer the forum? If not, could you look into getting one created and then make the address public please? That makes both Xamarin and users less dependent upon just one person being available.

cc. @DavidOrtinau

@JohnHardman said:
    @JamesMontemagno - Is there a group email address for all of the people who administer the forum? If not, could you look into getting one created and then make the address public please? That makes both Xamarin and users less dependent upon just one person being available.

cc. @DavidOrtinau

That would be terrific.

Well... Here is an interesting observation... Firefox recently did some kind of update that has broken every plugin available.
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/04/your-firefox-extensions-are-all-disabled-thats-a-bug/

But now I can post... I can attach images... And so on.
    This post was done in Firefox.
    Image paste test:

Firefox test - With ad blocker extension off.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Firefox test - With ad blocker extension off.

Ah - Might have a winner here. With both of these off (at the office where other extensions are still working in Firefox) I can sudden start posting again. Maybe a glitch/update in one of the blockers sees all the javascript on this site as ads? Or maybe the site was reported as an ad generator?

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@NMackay said:
    Would be cool if we could enable a rule that the threads get locked after 6 months maybe to stop posts from 2014 been dug up and people saying this doesn't work when Forms was probably version 2.2./PCL and very beta.

My favorite is when they necro some ancient thread to ask an (at best) tangentially related question. I've taken to reporting such comments as spam.

edited May 6

@JoeManke
    And RARELY are the questions Xamarin related.

I'm getting a NotReferencedExpectation when I click a button. What's the fix?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    Accepted Answer

Don't see a lot happening so I won't be monitoring the site going forwards.

It's a great site but feels like the support isn't there commercially.