Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Strange padding in ListView on iPhone X

VolodymyrSavchenkoVolodymyrSavchenko UAMember ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Xamarin.iOS

Hi everyone.
I was improving my app's interface for iPhone X and faced a problem with ListView.
As can you see on screenshot below ListView adds strange padding to ViewCells on iPhone X. On other iPhones without notch everything is okay.
How can i remove it?
I use custom ListView, so i can get access to all properties of UIListView.!

Answers

• Ajay87Ajay87 INMember ✭✭✭

@VolodymyrSavchenko
    xmlns:ios="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.iOSSpecific;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.Core"
    ios:Page.UseSafeArea="true"
    Add this namespace into your xaml page where you want.

• VolodymyrSavchenkoVolodymyrSavchenko UAMember ✭✭✭

@Ajay87 said:
    @VolodymyrSavchenko
    xmlns:ios="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.iOSSpecific;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.Core"

Thanks for replying, but this won't help. With this option turned on listview looks okay only if you'll open app in landscape orientation.
    I binded to this property on my ViewModel and changing it's value when app changes orientation.
    If I rotate app to portrait mode and then back to landscape this option's value don't change and app look ugly again.

I just don't understand why microsoft and xamarin team hates us? Why they did this? I want to improve my app's UI for iPhone X by myself. I don't want any of those stupid auto "improvements" which don't help, but make UI optimization only harder.

@VolodymyrSavchenko

protected override void OnSizeAllocated(double width, double height)
    {
    base.OnSizeAllocated(width, height); // Important!
    if (width != _width || height != _height)
    {
    _width = width;
    _height = height;
    ShowExtraLayout(width > height);
    }
    }
    you can do anything inside ShowExtraLayout() this method
    may be it will help you.

@Ajay87 said:
    @VolodymyrSavchenko

protected override void OnSizeAllocated(double width, double height)
    {
    base.OnSizeAllocated(width, height); // Important!
    if (width != _width || height != _height)
    {
    _width = width;
    _height = height;
    ShowExtraLayout(width > height);
    }
    }
    you can do anything inside ShowExtraLayout() this method
    may be it will help you.

I use exactly the same code and override same method. When i turn device to portrait mode safe area turns off, but when i return it to landscape mode nothing happens. Safe area don't appear.

@VolodymyrSavchenko
    You need to give if And else both condition in this method on the basis of orientation

@Ajay87 said:
    @VolodymyrSavchenko
    You need to give if And else both condition in this method on the basis of orientation

As i said i bind UseSafeArea to property. Property changes. This part works. Don't work listview. It handles property changing from landscape to portrait. But don't work other way.

edited March 2018

I made few screenshots with what i got with "UseSafeArea" option and what i made by myself;
    Feel the difference.

Xamarin:

Mine:

• BethBaraleckiBethBaralecki Member
    edited April 2018

@VolodymyrSavchenko I am experiencing the same strange issue. Were you ever able to resolve this?

Edit: I realized that on my view, I was calling InitializeComponent from the OnAppearing override. Taking this line out fixed my issue. I do not know why though.

@BethBaralecki said:
    @VolodymyrSavchenko I am experiencing the same strange issue. Were you ever able to resolve this?

Edit: I realized that on my view, I was calling InitializeComponent from the OnAppearing override. Taking this line out fixed my issue. I do not know why though.

Hello.
    I used minus margin like Margin = "-60, 0, 0, 0".

• Pedro_PazPedro_Paz Member ✭✭

@Ajay87 said:
    @VolodymyrSavchenko

Thank you man <3