Launch.Storyboard Images not displaying

I have a storyboard set as the launch. Text that is on the storyboard shows fine. The image that is set to stretch full width behind the text does not. It shows in the designer and it is using the Asset Catalog fine, but in the simulator and even on test deploy to the app store the image doesn't show.

I've reviewed every post here that I could find and none applied. Any suggestions to get this working? What can I provide to show the issue?

Tagged:

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    edited January 2017

Moving this to iOS, as it isn't Xamarin.Forms-specific.

Sounds like you either don't have constraints setup for the image, or that they aren't properly configured. Check out this guide from our documentation team to learn more.

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Yeah, double check the configuration of the image > check and see if you have the build property set correctly

Also, take a look at Xamarins documentation on launch screens... it appears some things were deprecated:

Managing Launch Screens with Asset Catalogs

⚠️
    NOTE: The information in this section is provided for historical reference only. Starting with iOS 9, Launch Screens >should be created with Storyboards instead of including specific Image Asset Launch Screens for all of the different iOS >Device types.

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/application_fundamentals/working_with_images/deprecated/launch-screens/

• Thanks for the suggestions. I've read both docs and added the images to a catalog using the UI (so I can't even see the build options on the actual images) and the constraints are bound exactly the same as the text that shows up perfectly (I just hit the green + to try that. (I've also tried no constraints and auto-sizing as what I really want is the image to just fill the storyboard and be done with it like the old launch screens)

In both cases the image does not display, but a label with exactly the same constraints or auto-sizing shows just fine exactly where I'd expect it to be. The images simply are not loading and nothing in the docs assists me on fixing the image not displaying.

• BTW, I've confirmed that the image box is there by putting a background color on it which clearly shows. It's just that the image doesn't show that's the issue.

• And I've confirmed that if I point it to an image in the resources folder it works fine. It's only Image Sets that don't work.

• RaymondKellyRaymondKelly USMember ✭✭✭

Any luck on this? I have the same or similar issue. The image on my launch storyboard does not show on my device. It works in the simulator and may even work in the app store, but just does not when debugging on my physical iPhone.

• DennyyDennyy Member ✭✭

Any luck on this?

• System.AshSystem.Ash AUMember ✭✭

Bump.

Xamarin team, how about you take some responsibility here? I'm facing the same issue and so are others and clearly it's just being ignored. If (using the designer), I set the image source to an image in my Resources directory, it shows while debugging, but if I use one from the Asset catalog (with 1x, 2x, 3x set), and the exact same constraints/properties for the UIImageView, it simply does not show. In either case, it appears in the designer. Either accept this as a bug and fix it or direct us to documentation that describes what we're missing.

• RobsoftRobsoft GBMember ✭✭

Another bump here - blew about an hour today fighting this before I hit google in frustration and found this topic.

Same as the other reports - using something from my assets for the launch storyboard appears to work in the designer but doesn't at runtime. Putting the exact same graphic resource in the 'resources' folder, and referencing that instead, works fine. It's not about constraints or layout properties - there's something about the image coming from assets that the launch storyboard doesn't seem to like.

• AlexBrownAlexBrown USMember ✭✭

Another Bump here. Total silence from Xamarin is never a good thing.

• AlexBrownAlexBrown USMember ✭✭

Placing the file in the Resources folder is also not working for me. What settings are you guys using for the image? Copy if Newer? BundleResource?

• ManInTheLoftManInTheLoft GBBeta, University ✭✭

Same for me too. A Forms app with an iOS app. All images are in the assets area and work fine. Added the splash image to the launch screen storyboard, set the constraints. Everything looks good in the designer but the image does not show in the runtime.

Added the image as a bundled resource into the ios.resources directory and updated the image name in the designer properties and it works!

So is it right to assume that a splash image must not come from the assets file? The documentation says otherwise so it would be really good to know for sure.

MITL