VS 2019 Windows -> VS Mac 2017

NickANickA ✭✭USMember ✭✭
edited April 2 in Xamarin.Forms

Has anyone else tried to use VS 2017 Window connecting to VS 2017 Mac? I keep getting a Xamarin.iOS version mismatch when trying to connect to my Mac. I don't want to install VS 2019 on my Windows production machine.

Answers

• JarvanJarvan Xamurai Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Installing components outside of the universal installer might have introduced the problem, the universal installer couldn't fix automatically. Try to uninstall everything and reinstall.
    Similar issue here https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/103004/installation-of-visual-studio-for-mac

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent ✭✭✭✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else tried to use VS 2017 Window connecting to VS 2017 Mac?

What do you mean "connecting to VS2017 mac"?
    Visual Studio Windows doesn't connect to Visual Studio Mac. You don't even need Visual Studio on the mac.
    Windows only connects to Xcode on the mac in order to trigger it to build the iOS project.
    In fact... If you're working the same solution from a shared location in Visual Studio on Windows and on the Mac at the same time - you're bound to foul something up.
    A) Having the same files open at the same time will cause something to be overwritten when the second machine saves.
    B) Windows volumes are C:\... D:\... etc. Mac is not. And the solution file is going to get way confused when you keep screwing with the locations like that.

Just work in Windows. Let the Mac be nothing more than an iOS build machine. Period.
    Visual Studio Mac is years behind VS Windows as far as features, capabilities and stability. I don't say that because I'm a windows fan boy: I love my macs. Its just the truth since VS was created for Windows decades ago and has years of advancement. VS Mac is basically the old Xamarin Studios for mac, with a facelift and about 20 months of code updates. Not years... months.

• NickANickA ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

Has anyone else tried to use VS 2017 Window connecting to VS 2017 Mac?

What do you mean "connecting to VS2017 mac"?
    Visual Studio Windows doesn't connect to Visual Studio Mac. You don't even need Visual Studio on the mac.
    Windows only connects to Xcode on the mac in order to trigger it to build the iOS project.
    In fact... If you're working the same solution from a shared location in Visual Studio on Windows and on the Mac at the same time - you're bound to foul something up.
    A) Having the same files open at the same time will cause something to be overwritten when the second machine saves.
    B) Windows volumes are C:\... D:\... etc. Mac is not. And the solution file is going to get way confused when you keep screwing with the locations like that.

Just work in Windows. Let the Mac be nothing more than an iOS build machine. Period.
    Visual Studio Mac is years behind VS Windows as far as features, capabilities and stability. I don't say that because I'm a windows fan boy: I love my macs. Its just the truth since VS was created for Windows decades ago and has years of advancement. VS Mac is basically the old Xamarin Studios for mac, with a facelift and about 20 months of code updates. Not years... months.

VS Windows uses Mac's Remote Login to deploy the build agent.

I had VS 2017 installed on my PC and Mac. Installed VS 2019 on my PC and after doing that couldn't build my iOS project. I had to install VS 2019 Mac to get it to build.

I don't know where you get your info but you need VS Mac installed to build iOS apps. I know what you mean about VS Mac; I've been using it since it was called Xamarin Studio and it's an inferior IDE.

But anyway, you need VS Mac installed to build an iOS app. And you currently can't have VS 2019 Windows and VS 2017 Mac, it won't build. It seems the versions have to match.

I don't file share, I use source control. In the day I like to use VS Windows, and at night I will grab my MacBook, pull the latest source and use VS Mac to get a little work done.

So I use VS Mac at times. But if you know a way that I don't need to have VS Mac installed to build iOS apps from Windows let me know.

@NickA said:
    I don't file share, I use source control. In the day I like to use VS Windows, and at night I will grab my MacBook, pull the latest source and use VS Mac to get a little work done.

Stop doing that. Its going to frak your solution at some point. Really.

Options:
    Install VMwareFusion on the Mac and install Visual Studio Windows. At least then you're always using the Windows version even if it is on two machines.
    Or install TeamViewer on your office Windows machine, then remote control it from your Mac. That to me is idle because you are also working on the solution from your same work/office PC, even when you are not physically at the office. No VPN, not different OSes, no complications: source control only ever sees you working from your desk. I have 3 monitors and do this just fine from home as TeamView will let you map all the monitors. It really feels like you are on your office machine.

Just wanted to confirm this today.
    Windows: Visual Studio 2019 enterprise (release not preview)
    Mac: Visual Studio 2017 community
    Works fine. The Win VS 2019 is able to see and use the mac for building and even XAML preview.

Thought... You do know you have to be logged in on the mac using the same credentials you're trying to use for ssh, right?

@ClintStLaurent said:

@NickA said:

Stop doing that. Its going to frak your solution at some point. Really.

Been doing this for a while now, no issues. Using VS on Mac/Windows isn't like it used to be. I do the same with my ASP.NET MVC projects, no issues.

I've tried the remote thing, and it's ok. Sometimes I will use my Chromebook to RDP into my Windows machine and that works fine. But I like using the Mac sometimes just to mix things up.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Just wanted to confirm this today.
    Windows: Visual Studio 2019 enterprise (release not preview)
    Mac: Visual Studio 2017 community
    Works fine. The Win VS 2019 is able to see and use the mac for building and even XAML preview.

Thought... You do know you have to be logged in on the mac using the same credentials you're trying to use for ssh, right?

Um, yeah. I'm not new to this :smile:

You must have misread any post because you initially said I didn't need VS Mac to build apps from VS Windows.. The problem was confusion between VS 2019 Windows and the two installations on VS Mac (2017/2019). It's sorted now.