XAML Previewer for Xamarin.Forms not working on VS2017

ANTProANTPro USMember

How to fix it?:

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• prashantvcprashantvc USXamarin Team Xamurai

That's rather strange! Could you file a bug at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug
    with full version information and logs?

• ANTProANTPro USMember

I make newbug on bugtrack

• VenkataSwamyVenkataSwamy INMember ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi everyone,
    Please follow steps to resolve the error:

Step 1: VS 2017 > click on View > Select Other Windows > Select Forms Preview

Step 2: The project preview needs to be built before preview the application

Step 3: Android Application preview, be sure that you have the latest Java 1.8 x64 installed from here
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Step 4: install java 1.8 x64 and change to Android JDK path from Visual studio
    Goto Tools Menu> Select Options > Xamarin> Android Setting > change Java Development kit

Step 5 Restart VS 2017

Step 6 Now open Forms Preview

For more information, please visit http://xamarininterviewquestion.blogspot.in/2017/03/microsoft-launch-visual-studio-2017_12.html

• ANTProANTPro USMember

I have jdk x64 1.8.0_112. Install new jdk x64 1.8.0_131 - problem not solved :(

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

I wish they would let us disable the previewer. At best I get a blank page I have to close, at worst it crashes (due to telerik controls) every 2 minutes.

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Why does Xamarin insist on releasing features that don't work? Management must be keen on getting new stuff in even if it works or not. Just ship it! The Android buttons should be removed, as also stated above, it has NEVER worked.

Now when I run it, all it does is lock up VS... The whole thing needs to be removed as it does not work.. It can only give Xamarin a bad name if they keep releasing features that do not work....

A real and proper XAML editor is needed more than anything else they currently have on their road map.... :neutral:

• EvolutionlabEvolutionlab USMember

My last attempt with visual studio 2017:

• Create a blank project with a view containing 1 label.
    • Follow all the steps required (jdk, android compilation, ecc ecc..)
    • Previewer doesnt work, error displayed: "something went wrong, ecc.. ecc..".

meh... i dont have time for this :(

• wsyeagerwsyeager Member ✭✭

Just tried it again with v15.8.1 of vs 2017.

Still doesn't work.... I agree with you guys above. What a waste. I've wasted almost 3 hours just trying to get this to work. Let them release something that actually functions properly. We need a XAML desginer that can also be enabled to drag and drop objects from a toolbox just like if using it in Android or iOS specific applications.

This is a joke....

• zlazozlazo PEMember ✭✭

I don't have it at all. Anybody knows how to enable it ?

• zlazozlazo PEMember ✭✭

By the way if you want to try http://www.livexaml.com/ is the best option out there to see how XAML looks

• ST.7899ST.7899 USMember ✭✭

I have installed X.F 3.2.0.839982 ( i don't think that is related to the Xamarin Previewer issue but just for the records).

However it seems that by trying all the suggestions it may be fix it for a while but after a few rebuilds, opening closing other pages in xaml and waiting to see the designer.. you will soon notice that the problem still exists..

I get this Xamarin Forms Previewer Error

java.lang.IllegalStateException

mono.android.DesignerException: java.lang.IllegalStateException
    at mono.android.DesignerException.fromThrowable(DesignerException.java:46)
    at mono.android.DesignerSession.checkRenderResultForError(DesignerSession.java:190)
    at mono.android.DesignerSession.load(DesignerSession.java:242)
    at mono.android.DesignerSession.processMessage(DesignerSession.java:707)
    at mono.android.MessageListener.executeMessage(MessageListener.java:88)
    at mono.android.MessageListener$Runner.run(MessageListener.java:44)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The main Looper has already been prepared.
    at android.os.Looper.prepareMainLooper(Looper.java:104)
    at com.android.layoutlib.bridge.Bridge.prepareThread(Bridge.java:544)
    at com.android.layoutlib.bridge.Bridge.createSession(Bridge.java:426)
    at com.android.ide.common.rendering.LayoutLibrary.createSession(LayoutLibrary.java:368)
    at mono.android.DesignerSession.load(DesignerSession.java:236)
    ... 4 more

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited March 27

Delete this please