Where do deleted files go? Seemingly not to trash. Is this a bug?

I just deleted an unwanted file by removing the file in Xamarin Studio (Mac, version 5.9.3), and somehow a very-much-wanted-file also got deleted. I'm fairly sure that XS did this unwanted deleting without me, but I can't be 100% sure.

In any case, I had a lot of changes in that file, that I was about to commit. I'm using Git, but now that the file is deleted, I can only restore the file as it was before all the changes I made. Having looked all around for where Xamarin might have put the file (plus looking at autosaves etc), I have come to the conclusion that I have completely lost the file, which makes me rather furious.

I noticed this bug report (from a year ago...), which seems to suggest that my deleted file should have just been in the trash:
https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17433

Any comments?

Thanks
David.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Out of curiosity, I just checked what Visual Studio does when you delete a file and it permanently deletes the file from disk. It does not put the file in the Recycle Bin.

I think it might be nice to move it to the Recycle Bin or Trash folder, but I'm not sure that the current behavior is really all that unexpected.

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

When you press Delete on a file you have two options: Delete or Remove from Project. Looks like you clicked on Delete. The dialog is very clear in that Delete will permanently delete the file from the hard disk.

• WafflesWaffles USMember ✭✭

Not a big deal unless youre a noob purging through files and delete a civilian

• MonicacokeMonicacoke Member ✭✭

@Waffles said:

Not a big deal as long as the deleted file is not overwritten.
    Then you can recover deleted files when with the help of data recovery tools.
    Recuva, easeUS, Disk Drill, iCare Data Recovery, PhotoRec Data Recovery, anyrecover have their own advantages and disadvantages. It's hard to say which one is the best, I can only say that anyrecover is useful to me, I used it to recover the deleted data on the Mac.

• MonicacokeMonicacoke Member ✭✭

@Monicacoke said:

@Waffles said:

Not a big deal as long as the deleted file is not overwritten.
    Then you can recover deleted files when with the help of data recovery tools.
    Recuva, easeUS, Disk Drill, iCare Data Recovery, PhotoRec Data Recovery, anyrecover have their own advantages and disadvantages. It's hard to say which one is the best, I can only say that anyrecover is useful to me, I used it to recover deleted data on Mac.

In addition, Time Machine Backup is a good recovery assistant for Mac users.