Archiving is not working in Visual Studio 2017 15.7.0 Preview 1.0?

FedericoLFedericoL ARMember ✭✭

Whenever I try to Archive an Android project for publishing it just opens the Archive Manager and stays saying "Archiving App Bundle..." forever and nothing happens. I tried with different solutions and it's always the same.

This is what I have been able to found in the logs:

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.Commands.ArchiveCommandUIBase|Error|0|System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'App2.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project, CancellationToken cancellation, TimeSpan timeout) in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 65
at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project) in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 33
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'App2.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project, CancellationToken cancellation, TimeSpan timeout) in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 65
at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project) in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 33
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138<---

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Progress.ProgressReportService|Information|0|Archiving App Bundle 'App2.Android'...
Xamarin.VisualStudio.Progress.ProgressReportService|Information|0|Canceling...

Answers

• DavidWeDavidWe Member ✭✭

Same error just happened to me and i can't figure out why this is happening.

It worked until i updated form vs 2017 sp4 to 2017 15.7. preview 1 a few days ago...

Also where are those those stored exactly ? I have nothing in any of the output logs and no information about whats exactly failing me.

Just an endless spinning of that progressbar which is saying "Archiving App Bundle..."

Just checked , having the same errors like OP ->

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.Commands.ArchiveCommandUIBase|Error|0|System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'my.test.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'my.test.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\15\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138<---

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Progress.ProgressReportService|Information|0|Archiving App Bundle 'my.test.Android'...

• FedericoLFedericoL ARMember ✭✭

Yes, I tried everything I could and it didn't work. I ended up rolling back from VS 2017 15.7 preview 1 to VS 2017 15.6.2 and that made it work. It seems an issue with 15.7 preview 1. It seems we have to wait for a next update to 15.7 (hopefully they will fix it).

Is there any chance to create an APK without the archive manager? or any chance to find otu what exactly caused this ?
    Since i'm hesitating to roll back a Version, might break other things.... :|

I don't think there is other way to create an APK with the UI. It might be possible editing build scripts, but I don't know.

If you even try with a new project it also throws the exception "The specified project 'my.test.Android' does not have a valid owning solution."...

I'm afraid this is just a bug and we have to wait for a next update to 15.7.

Since i can only document my journy ->
    Archiving is still not working, what i did was the following:

• updateting to 16.7. preview 2
    • repairing the xamarin files (programsm features)
    • repairing visual studio

... forbid my colleages to switch to this version so i 'm still able to build an APK from there :D

Uh... DavidWe: do you confirm then that 15.7 preview 2 still can't build an APK?
    edited March 2018

A typo in above comment, sorry for that. Obviously i meant 15.7 preview 2.

And yes, still the same error occurs. --> Just tested it with complete a new solution.
    Are both of us the only people having this issue?

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.Commands.ArchiveCommandUIBase|Error|0|System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'Archiving_prev2.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
    at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project, CancellationToken cancellation, TimeSpan timeout) in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 65
    at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project) in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 33
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: The specified project 'Archiving_prev2.Android' does not have a valid owning solution.
    at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project, CancellationToken cancellation, TimeSpan timeout) in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 65
    at Clide.IProjectNodeExtensions.Build(IProjectNode project) in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Interfaces\Extensions\IProjectNodeExtensions.cs:line 33
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Publishing.ArchiveManager.d__12.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\7\s\src\Core\VisualStudio.Publishing\Archival\ArchiveManager.cs:line 138<---

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Progress.ProgressReportService|Information|0|Archiving App Bundle 'Archiving_prev2.Android'...

Yes, I assumed you meant 15.7 preview 2...

I still didn't find the issue posted somewhere else.

I also didn't find references to this exception: "System.ArgumentException: The specified project does not have a valid owning solution.", which would be the cause of the issue.

Not sure know how many people is using 15.7 previews, but it's strange that no one else posted something somewhere if it affects all installs of 15.7.

Also tried with a complete new solution...

Right now, I'm using 15.6.*... I need to keep moving...

it seems that the Ui ist completely fisconnected from its functionality (as the excpetion states-> ArchiveCommandUIBase) since there is nothing going on. Just a dead view i assume...
    If at least we can somehow call the manager externally / by commandline. But i found absolutely no workaround for this bottlebeck...

• AlanClarkAlanClark USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the feedback guys. I found the following issue on VS Developer Community:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/216510/archiving-xamarinforms-android-app-gets-stuck.html

It looks to me like it's the same issue. I would urge you to comment there and follow that issue for updates.

Thanks for the update Alan... although I couldn't see the screenshot, yes, it might be the same issue...

No feedback there neither...

I'm still wondering if the issue is happening for everyone using 15.7 or if it depends on certain conditions...

• AlanClarkAlanClark USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

It does look like a number of people are hitting the same issue so we're treating with some priority at the moment.

Perfect... Hope it's fixed in the next 15.7 preview update. I will keep using 15.6 until it's fixed.

I've just installed preview 3 and this issue seems to be fixed for me. :)

Nice news David... I will also install it and update this post.
  • SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz USMember ✭✭✭

Yesterday I've updated VS 2017 to version 15.9.8. Now it is stuck while trying to build archives.

• SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz USMember ✭✭✭

And yes, I'm archiving the app using a release configuration and use shared runtime option is unchecked.

• ShriGuruBaskarShriGuruBaskar USMember ✭✭

Ran into the same issue today
    Clearing obj bin and closing visual studio and restarting did the trick.
    Also make sure , you are running one visual studio instance while creating an Archive bundle.

Hope it helps someone in need :)