Which Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin.Essentials & Xamarin.Android package versions are compatible?

cbdcbd Member ✭✭

I'm currently "enjoying" some NuGet package version hell.
I made the mistake of selecting to update Xamarin.Forms, which then triggered an issue with the Android package versions and now upsets Xamarin.Essentials.
I've tried rolling back packages, but it would seem that I have a circular mismatch with any package version that I attempt to install, with NuGet Package Manager automatically detecting a mismatch and rolling back the attempted install.
I'm then being told to install a package directly to a project, but this doesn't work via the NuGet Package Manager window.
Are new packages really not backward compatible?
My current impression is that the latest versions of the above mentioned packages aren't.
I'm at a loss.
Can anyone help me recover this situation please?
Cheers

Best Answer

Answers

• SwedenJohanssonSwedenJohansson SEMember ✭✭

I can't really help. But, I've had similar things happening to me before. I never update anything unless it's required anymore. What you can do is to keep fiddling with it, rebuilding and eventually it will just work. Or you could create a new solution, move your classes over there and install the nugets you want.

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Do you have any Android support packages explicitly referenced by your project? I would recommend updating those first, then Xamarin.Forms, then Xamarin.Essentials. You may also want to just remove those references and get them as implicit dependencies.

Also, what is your Android target SDK?