What databases are available for use with Xamarin?

What local databases are available for use with Xamarin on the various platforms? Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks, Arthur

Best Answer

Answers

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

SQLite is the most commonly used db on the client. CouchDB also has a component for Xamarin

• We've written an embedded document database library to power our apps. It's pure .NET, ACID compliant, single file, syncable (we use Mongo centrally) & runs on all Xamarin platforms. Think SQLite but for documents.

I'd be curious to know if this was useful for anyone else too.

• theCodeWranglertheCodeWrangler USMember ✭✭

@JasonAwbrey are you sure about CouchDB? I can find a Couchbase component but cannot find any documentation about it syncing with CouchDB. Couchbase will be the first to tell you that they are NOT CouchDB.

• cristophcristoph ROMember, Beta

Take a look at Siaqodb, it's a NoSQL database for mobile that fully supports Xamarin and you can also sync it with MongoDB or CouchDB via the open source SiaqodbCloud service.

• MarkMeeusMarkMeeus BEMember ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hi,

I'm the author of MarcelloDB (http://marcellodb.org) an open-source embedded NoSql database.

It is build specifically for Xamarin and UWP. (ligthweight, low memory usage)

It's pretty easy to use, has a powerful indexing mechanism and it is transactional as well.

• CrosevenCroseven USMember ✭✭

@MarkMeeus said:
    Hi,

I'm the author of MarcelloDB (http://marcellodb.org) an open-source embedded NoSql database.

It is build specifically for Xamarin and UWP. (ligthweight, low memory usage)

It's pretty easy to use, has a powerful indexing mechanism and it is transactional as well.

This looks very promising, good work

• NicolaePopovNicolaePopov USMember ✭✭

@JustinCaldicott said:
    We've written an embedded document database library to power our apps. It's pure .NET, ACID compliant, single file, syncable (we use Mongo centrally) & runs on all Xamarin platforms. Think SQLite but for documents.

I'd be curious to know if this was useful for anyone else too.

Is there any nuget for this?

• JustinCaldicottJustinCaldicott GBBeta ✭✭

@NicolaePopov I didn't bother open-sourcing it and publishing to NuGet in the end, as there didn't seem much interest. I'd be interested to know what you go for in the end.

• NicolaePopovNicolaePopov USMember ✭✭

@JustinCaldicott you chose LiteDB, easy to use for mobile.