How to find out since which Xamarin.Forms version this feature is available?

anveanve DEMember ✭✭✭

I thought I can use the API reference to find out since which XF version Span is available. But there is only stated Latest, which is not true. Also to find something on the release blog is cumbersome. You can look at Github, but how do I match the commit id 17fdde66d94155fc62a034fa6658995bef6fd6e5 with the actual release? I also didn't find it on the Xamarin.Forms release notes and roadmap page.

Is there an easy way to find out since which Xamarin.Forms version a feature like Span is available?

Answers

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@anve said:
    I thought I can use the API reference to find out since which XF version Span is available. But there is only stated Latest, which is not true. Also to find something on the release blog is cumbersome. You can look at Github, but how do I match the commit id 17fdde66d94155fc62a034fa6658995bef6fd6e5 with the actual release? I also didn't find it on the Xamarin.Forms release notes and roadmap page.

Is there an easy way to find out since which Xamarin.Forms version a feature like Span is available?

Span has been in Xamarin Forms since the first version I think. Many years at least.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@anve said:

No, I'm not aware of any method to do so. Your post is an accurate summary of a problem with the way the documentation is currently written. It's not how other Microsoft documentation is done, so I would hope that the Xamarin documentation team would rectify this. They've been told about it before (I've included it as feedback on documentation pages before now - putting "Latest" is both wrong (99+% of the time) and lazy). The more people that raise this, the better.

As for Span - as @JohnHair said above, it's been in the API for a long time. I think it was there when I started using XF in late 2014. If it wasn't, it would have been soon after that.