Possible to automate switching icons for Xamarin.Forms project?

JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a single project that is used by 2 different clients. The Apple store won't let us use the same icon for both, so we need to build version A with Icon set A, and then the same code as version B but with Icon B. Do you see any way to automate switching the icons?

Thanks!!
jesse

Answers

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

Note that we are building in the app center in case that makes things any easier. (Scripts??)

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a single project that is used by 2 different clients.

Is it a shared project between two different visual studio solutions solutions?

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent It is the same exact solution. None of the code is different, just the icon. The two users are aware of and work together.

Thanks

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah... That blows my idea out of the water then.

So what you're saying is...
    You compile the solution for "Widget Inc" and want the WidgetIcon
    You compile the solution for "Gadget Inc" and want the GadgetIcon

You know that images in your resources can be links to other 'hard' images, right? So when you change one, in one place all the links update.
    http://redpillxamarin.com/2017/02/24/301-quikies-icon-strategy/

I'm wondering if you could swap your "appIcon.png" via a small command script in the Built Events tab.

I've used that to delete existing installations and even send ADB command to delete existing installation of my test tablet so I was guaranteed a fresh debugging environment.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseLiberty said:
    Hi,

We have a single project that is used by 2 different clients. The Apple store won't let us use the same icon for both, so we need to build version A with Icon set A, and then the same code as version B but with Icon B. Do you see any way to automate switching the icons?

Thanks!!
    jesse

I suggest different startup projects, 1 for each client.