Understanding performance: pthread_setspecific, TlsGetValue

I'm digging into the performance of some AI code for my game, and I'm seeing interesting things in Instruments that I'd like to understand better. If a MonoTouch AOT guru could share insights, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have a class that maintains an array and a method that just looks up an element in that array by doing some math on an x/y coordinate and then returning a value. This is called a lot by my AI code, and I see the performance behavior in Instruments shown by the attached image, indicating that a lot of time is spent calling pthread_setspecific as a result of a call to TlsGetValue and in turn mono_get_lmfaddr. I'm curious as to what's going on here, and whether I can speed up this array access.

The call to emul_op_irem_int_int makes me think that maybe I'm triggering something weird here:

protected static int index (int x, int y) {
        int wx = (x + 1024*SIZE) % SIZE, wy = (y + 1024*SIZE) % SIZE;
        return wy * SIZE + wx;
    }

I suspect this method is getting inlined into FXGrid.get so it doesn't show up in Instruments. The get methods are simply:

public TileEffect get (Coord coord) {
        return get(coord.x, coord.y);
    }
    public TileEffect get (int x, int y) {
        return _grid[index(x, y)];
    }

Excuse the fact that this is Java code, my app is actually written in Java and converted to CLR bytecode by IKVM, but I presume that isn't the source of this weirdness. Here's the CLR bytecode for the index() method if that's more useful:

// method line 15540
.method famorassem static hidebysig 
       default int32 index (int32 x, int32 y)  cil managed 
{
    .custom instance void class [IKVM.Runtime]IKVM.Attributes.LineNumberTableAttribute::'.ctor'(unsigned int8[]) =  (01 00 05 00 00 00 9F 70 62 7F 08 00 00 ) // .......pb....

// Method begins at RVA 0x9d2b4
    // Code size 47 (0x2f)
    .maxstack 4
    .locals init (
            int32   V_0,
            int32   V_1)
    IL_0000:  nop 
    IL_0001:  nop 
    IL_0002:  ldarg.0 
    IL_0003:  ldc.i4 7168
    IL_0008:  add 
    IL_0009:  ldc.i4.7 
    IL_000a:  dup 
    IL_000b:  ldc.i4.m1 
    IL_000c:  bne.un.s IL_0013

IL_000e:  pop 
    IL_000f:  pop 
    IL_0010:  ldc.i4.0 
    IL_0011:  br.s IL_0014

IL_0013:  rem 
    IL_0014:  stloc.0 
    IL_0015:  ldarg.1 
    IL_0016:  ldc.i4 7168
    IL_001b:  add 
    IL_001c:  ldc.i4.7 
    IL_001d:  dup 
    IL_001e:  ldc.i4.m1 
    IL_001f:  bne.un.s IL_0026

IL_0021:  pop 
    IL_0022:  pop 
    IL_0023:  ldc.i4.0 
    IL_0024:  br.s IL_0027

IL_0026:  rem 
    IL_0027:  stloc.1 
    IL_0028:  nop 
    IL_0029:  ldloc.1 
    IL_002a:  ldc.i4.7 
    IL_002b:  mul 
    IL_002c:  ldloc.0 
    IL_002d:  add 
    IL_002e:  ret 
} // end of method FXGrid::index

Thanks in advance!

• samskivertsamskivert USMember

Looking at other routes into these same calls, I now suspect it has something to do with handling div0 exceptions. Is there a way to disable that for production builds?

Hrm, I just dug up /optimize:unsafe but enabling that does not seem to eliminate these calls as shown by Instruments.

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

Can you post the full screenshot?

It is likely that one of the math operations is calling a helper function in C.

Weird. Now the screenshot I attached originally seems not to be attached to the post. Here's the shot I originally intended to attach. Are you saying you want to see more of the callstack?

More weird. Now the original screenshot is showing up again. So clearly you wanted to see something else. I'm not sure what else I can show. This is from the time profiler, so I'm just looking at methods where a lot of time is being spent. I can post a full screenshot of the profiler window if that has more useful info.

Anyhow, even if Mono is calling into a C helper function, it seems strange that a math emulation function would do something that requires a call into pthreads and setting thread-local data. That's why I suspected it was relating to div0 exception handling or something, and that /optimize:unsafe would disable it, but either /optimize:unsafe doesn't disable div0 exception handling or my hunch that it's related to said exception handling is wrong. Probably the latter.

Oh, I should point out that the screenshot is showing an inverted callstack. pthread_setspecific is being called by TlsGetValue is being called by mono_get_lmf_adder etc.

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

Have you tried enabling LLVM? It might produce better/faster code.

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

It looks very strange that you end up doing tls access for pure math. If you file a bug in bugzilla with a test case we'll have a look at what's going on.