How to set up the input method correctly für the phone input panel?

Hi there,

I am having problems with the "phone" input type. If i choose this the input panel looks right for my purpose, but I could not enter any characters. So they are inactive and I could only use the numbers. As for the user should only input a few characters and way more numbers, I thought the "phone" input type is the right one.

The system I am using runs under Android 4.4.

May this be the problem?

Thank you in advance

Xamarinion

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I can't understand your meanings totally. When we enter the Phone input View, we will see the following effect under android 4.4 in genera. Because phone Numbers allow only these Numbers and characters, all other characters are illegal.
    What do you want actually? Could you please post more details?

• XamarinionXamarinion Member ✭✭

I see the same result but I cannot input any character. I tried holding the button longer or tap it more than once. Only the numbers appear in the corresponding EditText. Am I using it wrong?

Thanks and greetings

Xamarinion

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24

@Xamarinion said:
    I see the same result but I cannot input any character. I tried holding the button longer or tap it more than once. Only the numbers appear in the corresponding EditText. Am I using it wrong?

Thanks and greetings

Xamarinion

I think you are trying to use the the phone input keyboard for text, e.g. T9 input. Is that correct?

Yes, kind of. I have a EditText where about 80% are numbers and the rest are characters. So I tried to prevent the user from switching between characters and numbers and just use one input panel. As I said the characters are not active or I am using them wrong.

Is it overall possible to input characters with the "phone" InputPanel? I want to achieve something like "ab123456". I could not enter any character but they are shown on the input panel. I tried holding the field for longer time oder tipping it more than once. The input is the same, just the numbers. Could somebody give me an advice?

This depends on the underlying operating system, not the application layer.
    But you can create an own input method for your requirement.
    For more details, you can check: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/text/creating-input-method

Thank you, this helped a lot. Could it be possible that this is a problem of the branding of that device? It is a special device vor Barcode Reading and the Manufacturer has ist own Firmware running. If I understand you correctly there could be the problem. As the EMUI Environment from HUAWEI for example?

Greetings and many thanks

Xamarinion

Sorry so late to reply.
    It is not a problem of the branding of that device, that's what the system is designed to do.