How to convert a picture path to mediafile?

SreeeeSreeee INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a picture file path and I am trying to upload this picture to server. When I upload this picture to server I need it's GetStream() value. I will show a sample code, that I have used in another place:

var content = new MultipartFormDataContent();
content.Add(new StreamContent(_mediaFile.GetStream()), "\"file\"", $"\"{_mediaFile.Path}\"");
var response = await httpClient.PostAsync(new Uri("My REST API"), content);

if (response.IsSuccessStatusCode)
{
   //Success
}

Where _mediaFile is a MediaFile

private MediaFile _mediaFile;

But currently, I have only the picture path. So is there any way to convert the picture path to MediaFile or anyway way to get the GetStream() value of the picture path?

Best Answers

• LandLuLandLu Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

@Sreeee About how to retrieve data from the project, I have posted the corresponding code in my sample above:

var myStr = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData);
    var filePath = Path.Combine(myStr, "charm.png");

var assembly = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();

string targetStr = null;
    if (Device.RuntimePlatform == Device.iOS)
    {
        targetStr = "iOS";
    }
    else if (Device.RuntimePlatform == Device.Android)
    {
        targetStr = "Droid";
    }
    else
    {
        targetStr = "UWP";
    }

using (var stream = assembly.GetManifestResourceStream("App3." + targetStr + ".charm.png"))
    {
        byte[] buffer = new byte[stream.Length];
        stream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
        File.WriteAllBytes(filePath, buffer);
    }

The file's build action should be Embedded resource, and use the code below to check what resources you could use in current assembly:
    assembly.GetManifestResourceNames();

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Stream isn't a different path.
    Its not a different file on the device.
    You read the file into a memory stream then provide that object.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/b3aa9965-9947-4003-b1e1-57353f083e38/how-to-convert-image-files-to-stream?forum=csharpgeneral

edited January 2019
  • SreeeeSreeee INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent Can you please look the following screenshot. Where picturepath is the path of the image.
    Sample path: C:\Users\sonub\AppData\Local\Packages\com.pagematics.listpmcustomer_hcgbetyqs63kp\LocalState\business-process - Copy (7).jpg

In the accepted answer of this thread where we are providing the picture path?

Try using xamarin.forms lab.
    https://github.com/XLabs/Xamarin-Forms-Labs/wiki/Camera
    ImageSource = ImageSource.FromStream(() => mediaFile.Source);
    mediaFile.Source is your stream, hope it helps.

@Sreeee said:
    @ClintStLaurent Can you please look the following screenshot. Where picturepath is the path of the image.
    Sample path: C:\Users\sonub\AppData\Local\Packages\com.pagematics.listpmcustomer_hcgbetyqs63kp\LocalState\business-process - Copy (7).jpg

That is clearly a screwed up example. I wouldn't bother trying to follow any example that codes like that.
    Notice how there is no MVVM being used...
    The code which should be from a ViewModel is directly grabbing text out of the UI Entry - sheesh

C:\Users\sonub\AppData\Local\Packages\com.pagematics.listpmcustomer_hcgbetyqs63kp\LocalState\business-process - Copy (7).jpg

Are yo making a Windows application? Because that's a Windows path.
    Is it a valid path? Have yo double checked? Is that really the user name for example? Does your code check to see if the file exists before trying to use it?

@ClintStLaurent I am making a xamarin forms application, I send a windows path because I run windows app to get a sample path. File exist before and after the use.

Ok. Next part of your post to tackle.

So is there any way to convert the picture path to MediaFile

What do you mean by that? What do you mean 'convert the picture to a mediafile'? Do you think MediaFile is a file type: Something you can convert to/from?

Look the following function to open a camera, here I am using _mediaFile for storing a picture. Using that _mediaFile I am uploading the image to server. Mediafiles have GetStream() property so that I can upload that file to the server using that property. I think MediaFile is a type of file we can convert to/from, that's why I asked like that.

public async void OpenMyCamera()
        {
            try
            {
                await CrossMedia.Current.Initialize();

if (!CrossMedia.Current.IsCameraAvailable || !CrossMedia.Current.IsTakePhotoSupported)
                {
                    await DisplayAlert("Alert", "No camera available.", "Ok");
                    return;
                }

_mediaFile = await CrossMedia.Current.TakePhotoAsync(new Plugin.Media.Abstractions.StoreCameraMediaOptions
                {
                    Directory = "Sample",
                    Name = "test.jpg",
                    AllowCropping = true
                });

if (_mediaFile == null)
                    return;
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("Exception:>" + ex);
            }
        }

@LandLu I am working on xamarin forms PCL project. In this type of projects, File is not available. So I can't use the below code.

var bytes = File.ReadAllBytes(filePath);

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@Sreeee System.IO.File can be used in Xamarin.Forms project. Try to involve the space name using System.IO;.
    Or use the whole name.

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sreeee said:
    @LandLu I am working on xamarin forms PCL project. In this type of projects, File is not available. So I can't use the below code.

var bytes = File.ReadAllBytes(filePath);

It is if you use the DependencyService to write the code, It's just not available in the shared library.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/app-fundamentals/dependency-service/introduction

edited January 2019

@LandLu I already tried both and no luck. See this.

edited January 2019

@seanyda Yes I am working on select multiple images from gallery feature and it is using DependencyService. Is there any solution for this?

edited January 2019

@Sreeee I created a sample for you, you can check the attachment for detailed code.
    My Forms library maybe exists some error. If you want to build this sample, remove the Xamarin.Forms library on each platform and add it again.

I will go through this and update you @LandLu
    Thanks in advance :)

@LandLu said:
    @Sreeee I created a sample for you, you can check the attachment for detailed code.
    My Forms library maybe exists some error. If you want to build this sample, remove the Xamarin.Forms library on each platform and add it again.

This is a .Net standard project, right? In your sample, File is working.

Is there any other way to resolve this issue without converting to .Net standard? When I convert getting a lot of errors. I am using this for converting PCL to .Net standard.

Well... Either start a new project that's .NET Standard, or work through the issues. But PCL has been deprecated for at least 2 years now. You really want to get up to date sooner rather than later.

@Sreeee .NET Framework has many limitations of api usage due to different profile numbers. We highly recommend you to use .NET Standard libraries. And PCLs are considered deprecated in the latest versions of Visual Studio.
    It's not a difficult thing to convert your project to .NET Standard, as almost all of the .NET Framework's apis are supported in .NET Standard.

@LandLu, @NMackay @ClintStLaurent Thanks for the suggestions, I will convert the project to .Net standard or create a new .Net standard project and add all my files and icons into it.

hi @LandLu, @NMackay @ClintStLaurent

One quick question. I created a new .Net standard project and add the upload picture part only. I hard coded the picture path like below in my project.

var fileBytes = File.ReadAllBytes("C:/testpic.jpg");

But getting an exception:

Exception thrown: 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' in System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Exception1:>System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\testpic.jpg' is denied.
       at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
       at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
       at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllBytes(String path)
       at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(String path)
       at Listpm.MainPage.<CallUploadREST>d__1.MoveNext()

Worked on windows app and I added photo library permission in package.appxmanifet

@LandLu, @NMackay @ClintStLaurent

Please suggest the best way of converting PCL to .Net Standard?

@Sreeee I'm afraid you added the wrong permission.
    Refer to this documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/files/file-access-permissions
    We know that the default system locations app can reach is:

1. Project package directory
    2. Application data folder

If you want to access additional locations, you should use open file picker or add special permission. Then use Windows.Storage to achieve that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/files/file-access-permissions#accessing-additional-locations.
    I don't recommend you to do that: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsdevsol/2012/12/04/skip-the-path-stick-to-the-storagefile/. So I used Environment.GetFolderPath to get the application data folder in my sample.

edited January 2019

@LandLu I have added the same picture in the project directory, tried like below.

var myStr = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData);
                var filePath = Path.Combine(myStr, "testpic.jpg");
                var fileBytes = File.ReadAllBytes(filePath); );

@Sreeee I think this thread should be closed. If you want to know more information about converting PCL to .NET Standard, you could open a new case. Describe the detailed errors you are facing.
    Then we can find an appropriate workaround there.

Accepted Answer

@Sreeee About how to retrieve data from the project, I have posted the corresponding code in my sample above:

var filePath = Path.Combine(myStr, "charm.png");

var assembly = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();

string targetStr = null;
    if (Device.RuntimePlatform == Device.iOS)
    {
        targetStr = "iOS";
    }
    else if (Device.RuntimePlatform == Device.Android)
    {
        targetStr = "Droid";
    }
    else
    {
        targetStr = "UWP";
    }

using (var stream = assembly.GetManifestResourceStream("App3." + targetStr + ".charm.png"))
    {
        byte[] buffer = new byte[stream.Length];
        stream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
        File.WriteAllBytes(filePath, buffer);
    }

The file's build action should be Embedded resource, and use the code below to check what resources you could use in current assembly:
    assembly.GetManifestResourceNames();

edited January 2019

@LandLu said:
    @Sreeee I think this thread should be closed. If you want to know more information about converting PCL to .NET Standard, you could open a new case. Describe the detailed errors you are facing.
    Then we can find an appropriate workaround there.

I am also trying to do the same. I tried like below, but still getting FileNotFoundException. I added that picture in my windows project directory.

var filePath = Path.Combine(myStr, "testpic.jpg");
            var fileBytes = File.ReadAllBytes(filePath);

@Sreeee Before you read this file in that path, try to print the filePath in the console window. Make sure this file is truely existed:
    File.Exists(filePath);

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@Sreeee said:

Please suggest the best way of converting PCL to .Net Standard?

Google the answer
    https://montemagno.com/how-to-convert-a-pcl-library-to-net-standard-and-keep-git-history/

I am facing an issue when converting PCL project to .Net standard project. Anyone please help me? Started a new thread here.