Can I develop an OSX application using Visual Studio on a PC?

EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭

Considering how long I have been using Xamarin, I am ashamed to be asking such a simple question, but can I develop a MacOS/OSX application using Visual Studio on the PC?

Note that I do have a MacBook, which is acting as build-host for my Xamarin iPhone development. Since I have a Mac and I know that Visual Studio Mac allows development of OSX applications, I naturally assumed it would be possible to do this on a PC (which is by far my preferred working environment).

If - as I suspect - the answer is No, does anyone know why not. Given that I own a Mac and have paid my Apple Developer Licence, surely this cannot be another example of Apple's Draconian licensing?

• Patrick
Tagged:

Answers

• axbeitaxbeit Member ✭✭

I would like to know, too.

I found this:

Install VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install MacOs 10.13 on VirtualBox https://techsviewer.com/install-macos-high-sierra-virtualbox-windows/

Create or login with an apple account on the mac

Install XCode 9.0 https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_9/Xcode_9.xip

Enable Remote Login System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login > Enable for All Users

Configure VirtualBox with an additional network adaptor (host-only)

In Windows > Visual Studio (Xamarin Project) > Pair with mac

Enter the IPaddress of the second network adaptor

Let Visual studio install Xamarin IOS, IOS SDK, additional tools on the Mac

All set up.

I wonder if thats the way to do this? Does anyone have a better solution?

• EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭

@axbeit

Wow! That's complicated. If you try that, I'd love to know how you get on.

You know, when you ask a question that involves Apple, why is the answer always fifty times worse than it needs to be? It's time they opened up and stopped trying to exclusively lock people (and developers) into their product line!

• Patrick
  • JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@EasyGoingPat said:
    @axbeit

Wow! That's complicated. If you try that, I'd love to know how you get on.

You know, when you ask a question that involves Apple, why is the answer always fifty times worse than it needs to be? It's time they opened up and stopped trying to exclusively lock people (and developers) into their product line!

• Patrick

Well, XCode is written for MacOS and Apple hardware. I am sure they could open it up and create a Windows version, but I could only see that happen if iOS app sales died off massively. It isn't in their interest to create a Windows version. What would be the cost benefit to them?

@JohnHair

Probably no cost benefit, so I see your point. But, as a developer, I can't help but feel we should now be in a world where your target device does not have to be the same as your development device. You can do just about any combination of cross-platform development you might want except for trying to target Apple without paying them huge amounts of money for hardware and licences. And, it seems in the case of developing for MacOS, even the fact that I've paid a grand for a MacBook and bought an Apple Developer Licence still is not enough! That seems wrong.

I have legitimate reasons for needing to work on a PC (most of my clients require Windows apps), and I don't want to have to learn a whole new OS and development environment if - as is the case - I want to do a small MacOS app.

Things just always seem to be expensive and/or complicated because of Apple stranglehold on their segment of the market.

Just my opinion (and I guess this forum is not really the place for this discussion).

• Patrick
  • ethanwjonesethanwjones Member ✭✭

@EasyGoingPat said:

If only! :D

@axbeit

I've been looking again at your answer. Are you suggesting that I use VirtualBox on the PC to install OSX, XCode and Visual Studio Mac and then simply develop in that environment? Sorry if I misunderstand.

I was hoping to use Visual Studio PC, using my networked Mac as a debugger, similar to the way iOS applications are developed.

PS - I have marked your answer as not the solution for now because I haven't had chance to experiment with it and am being nagged by Xamarin to close the question. I have liked it though.)

• Patrick