Can I run windows on a macbook pro, with macOS in a VM, and compile?

kyletraynor.4279kyletraynor.4279 ✭✭USMember ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a high end macbook pro, then run windows on it as my normal OS, and then run mac OS in a VM on the same laptop, and use xamarin on windows to connect to the macos vm to compile.

Is this possible - and am I likely to run into any major compile speed problems?

Tagged:

Answers

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery ✭✭✭✭✭ GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    To slightly not answer your question.

I run a MacBook Pro with Windows in a VM very successfully. I do all my xamarin development in the Mac OS and use Windows for admin and business stuff. I also have VS on Windows but don't bother trying to build iOS apps using it.

So the opposite but works well.
  • NMackayNMackay mod GBInsider, University mod
    edited January 2

@JamesLavery said:
    To slightly not answer your question.

I run a MacBook Pro with Windows in a VM very successfully. I do all my xamarin development in the Mac OS and use Windows for admin and business stuff. I also have VS on Windows but don't bother trying to build iOS apps using it.

So the opposite but works well.

Asked for the same setup but to develop on Windows VM as MacOS is horrible. Still, they persist with mid spec PC's and mac-mini's which are garbage. When you review the hardware outlay a decent macbook running Win10 would do the job....I'd never buy one personally.

• kyletraynor.4279kyletraynor.4279 ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Thanks for the responses.
    Yeah, I'm only interested in the opposite, I'd be doing all my development in windows so I don't really want to doing my regular work in a VM if I can help it.

Has anyone gone the windows route with Mac as a VM? I'm not sure if xamarin will have any trouble connecting to the VM to compile.

I think I can sell my company on buying a high end mac book pro easily, but not buying a mac book pro and a windows laptop, so I'm hoping to confirm if this can work or not before I pitch it.

• amirvenusamirvenus ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

@kyletraynor.4279 said:
    Yeah, I'm only interested in the opposite, I'd be doing all my development in windows so I don't really want to doing my regular work in a VM if I can help it.

Has anyone gone the windows route with Mac as a VM? I'm not sure if xamarin will have any trouble connecting to the VM to compile.

I think I can sell my company on buying a high end mac book pro easily, but not buying a mac book pro and a windows laptop, so I'm hoping to confirm if this can work or not before I pitch it.

I did once when I was poor and my Mac was really slow, sluggish and old!

I ran macOS inside a Virtual Machine on VMWare Workstation (using a hacky way!) just to be able to build for iOS and it worked but mind you, I had a lot of problems with Intel VT and second level virtualisation (AFAIK simulators are VM themselves so it would be nested virtualisation otherwise known as VM inside VM!) but as a proof of concept it works but not 100% sure if that was legal.

• NMackayNMackay mod GBInsider, University mod

@kyletraynor.4279 said:

It's possible but I couldn't possibly comment.

• UnreachableCodeUnreachableCode ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

@amirvenus said:
    I ran macOS inside a Virtual Machine on VMWare Workstation (using a hacky way!) just to be able to build for iOS and it worked but mind you, I had a lot of problems with Intel VT and second level virtualisation (AFAIK simulators are VM themselves so it would be nested virtualisation otherwise known as VM inside VM!) but as a proof of concept it works but not 100% sure if that was legal.

Not legal in what sense? I know Apple don't want macOS running on anything but a Mac but I don't understand how they encourage installing Windows 10 in bootcamp but not the reverse. It's a bit of a double standard? And surely not actually illegal?

• JohnHJohnH ✭✭✭✭✭ GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@UnreachableCode said:

@amirvenus said:

Not legal in what sense? I know Apple don't want macOS running on anything but a Mac but I don't understand how they encourage installing Windows 10 in bootcamp but not the reverse. It's a bit of a double standard? And surely not actually illegal?

I believe the MacOS software licence states that it must only run on mac hardware. Running MacOS in a VM on Mac is fine, but running MacOS in a VM on a Dell is not, for example.
    IANAL but I understand that that restriction is not enforceable in law in some countries, like the UK for example.