where is the ipa file when using visual studio for windows :(

AppDev01AppDev01 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Xamarin.iOS

where is the ipa file when using visual studio for windows :(

I am running into issues it seems every step of the way... this close to what seems like the finish line...
not I cant get the ipa file or what ever it is I need to do an ah-hoc install.

I have all my app devs stuff setup ... hardware id App Ids all that stuff you need on the apple dev website.

I have an ad-hoc profile on the apple developer site...
but when I set visual studio to ad-hoc and simulator and build... it builds.. I get not errors...

But when I search the release folder (thats All I see in the bin)... I don't see and ipa file...
does anything in xamarin actually work like listed in the instructions???

I have spent so much time stripping out features and all the things that are claimed to work..
I now have a very bare app... just to get something to work....

I took out art I made the itunes icons and all of the appicons of different sizes and I still cant get a file that
of the application I built to load to a bloody Iphone... :(

THis is the most ridiculous thing I have ever touched!

Xamarin is very new to me.. but gosh if you follow the write up something should work right?
Or if you are doing something wrong you should get an error of some sort right?

Any one... That knows where this file is I would sure appropriate you sharing your knowledge...
Maybe I missed a step...

I was able to build the android apk just fine... Apple sure makes you jump through hoops

So looking at the output is this the exe the ipa file or am I looking for a file with the .ipa extension

I see a folder inside the bin iphone adhoc
I see 1> AppName.iOS -> C:\APP_DIR\AppName\AppName\AppName.iOS\bin\iPhone\Ad-Hoc\AppName.iOS.exe
this file AppName.iOS.exe

is that the ipa file???

I see this on build output

1>------ Build started: Project: AppName.iOS, Configuration: Ad-Hoc iPhoneSimulator ------
1> Connecting to Mac server xxx.xxx.1.x...
1> Connecting to Mac server xxx.xxx.x.xx...
1>C:\Utils\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(1217,3): warning : The image set "Images" has an unassigned child.
1>C:\Utils\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(1060,3): warning : Incorrect bKGD chunk length
1>C:\Utils\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(1060,3): warning : Incorrect bKGD chunk length
1> AppName.iOS -> C:\APP_DIR\AppName\AppName\AppName.iOS\bin\iPhone\Ad-Hoc\AppName.iOS.exe
1> Detected signing identity:
1> Code Signing Key: "iPhone Developer: xxxx.xxx (xxxxxxx)" (XXXXXXX)
1> Bundle Id: com.companyname.AppName
1> App Id: com.companyname.AppName
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2018

If it builds successfully, the IPA file should locate in Bin > iOS Device > Ad Hoc (or Release) folder:

You can also customize the ipa location ,refer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/app-distribution/ipa-support?tabs=windows#customizing-the-ipa-location

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@AppDev01 said:

What are you trying to do? Generally speaking you only need to know where the IPA file is when you want to upload it to the App Store.
    If you want to deploy your app to your own device, and that device is correctly provisioned for, then attach the device to your Mac and select iPhone as a deployment target. You will see your device listed, selected it. Build the app.

I don't know what instructions you are referring to or following, but if they are out of date I suggest you post a link and someone can correct them.

• AppDev01AppDev01 Member ✭✭✭

Hi @JohnHair ,

I am trying to deploy the application... We are using ad-hoc... and thought worked like the android.. you make the apk and then run some commands in the command line to install on your user's devices...

I was following both:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/app-distribution/ad-hoc-distribution?tabs=windows

and

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/app-distribution/ipa-support?tabs=windows

not one line in either of those instructions mentions connecting a phone to a macintosh computer for pushing the application to a phone... :( if it does I missed that step.

My users will be using this inhouse tool on their phones. Sadly we have to sign up their devices (apple bites)
    But are you saying that I don't make a ipa file and distribute the application that way?

Each user will need to have their device after linked via the dev account stuff... and then attached to the macintosh to have the application installed??

Do you know where I can find a guide for that??

Thanks for the help!

@JohnHair said:

@AppDev01 said:

What are you trying to do? Generally speaking you only need to know where the IPA file is when you want to upload it to the App Store.
    If you want to deploy your app to your own device, and that device is correctly provisioned for, then attach the device to your Mac and select iPhone as a deployment target. You will see your device listed, selected it. Build the app.

I don't know what instructions you are referring to or following, but if they are out of date I suggest you post a link and someone can correct them.

edited December 2018

My New Error: :(

If I am understanding correctly... that I need hook a phone up to the macintosh... via a cable or do I do this wireless by pairing the windows machine to the phone?? Also should i see the device or will it just say iphone? Or will I see the actual device Id like you do when you install an apk on the android? Also I am using visual studio for windows... do I need to open up so software on the macintosh?

Sorry but apple is new to me as I have never use and apple or android phone before...but the directions for the android were straight forward

Anyway...

This is the new error of the day:
    Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Ad-Hoc' Platform='iPhone'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform.

Let me guess... it can't deploy to the phone??

@AppDev01 said:

I was asking if all you want to do is deploy to your own device (e.g. to debug the app), not to everyone else within your business.
    It sounds like you are jumping too far ahead before you get the basics working.
    To start with, you have VS for Windows paired with a Mac on your local network, correct?
    You also have an iOS development certificate and profile configured containing your dev iOS device, right?
    Run Xcode on the Mac, make sure it doesn't have any extra components to install.
    Run VS on Windows, make sure it pairs successfully.
    Plug in the iOS device to the Mac via USB.
    In VS make sure your startup project is your iOS project, and that you are set for iPhone not iPhoneSimulator. VS should then have your device in the list.

Get simple deploying to a device and debugging working before you jump off the deep end! :smile:

Hi @JohnHair

Yes to these Questions:
    To start with, you have VS for Windows paired with a Mac on your local network, correct?
    You also have an iOS development certificate and profile configured containing your dev iOS device, right?

I down loaded xcode an visual studio... I tried to get my app to run on visual studio for machintosh but I dont really know how to use a mac as I find the UI hard to use as i am use to windows..

So I have to start Xcode? What does xcode do? (I will seach the internet for that answer)
    Run Xcode on the Mac, make sure it doesn't have any extra components to install.

This will hopefully be my first and last mobile application... this is a bit to rough edged for me.
    I will try this thing with xcode... is there anything in xcode that I need to press?

@JohnHair said:

@AppDev01 said:

I was asking if all you want to do is deploy to your own device (e.g. to debug the app), not to everyone else within your business.
    It sounds like you are jumping too far ahead before you get the basics working.
    Run VS on Windows, make sure it pairs successfully.
    Plug in the iOS device to the Mac via USB.
    In VS make sure your startup project is your iOS project, and that you are set for iPhone not iPhoneSimulator. VS should then have your device in the list.

Get simple deploying to a device and debugging working before you jump off the deep end! :smile:

@AppDev01 said:

I didn't ask you to build the app on the Mac, although you can of course with Visual Studio for Mac. It is a simple version of Visual Studio for windows and is very simple to use.

I expected you already knew what Xcode is. We have to assume a certain level of pre-existing knowledge.

Xcode are Apple's tools for building iOS and Mac apps, and Xamarin uses it internally to build and sign your apps. It is a prerequisite to iOS app development. When you installed your development profiles on your Mac it would have opened Xcode for you at that time. If you run it again it will automatically start downloading and installing if it needs to, and it will show that it is doing that.

Btw this isn't rough around the edges. This is pretty streamlined when you know how your tools work together.

Hi @JohnHair

So what install on the phone I used is not installed correctly then? I did not install anything I created from the dev site on to the macintosh... I did install a cert on to my windows machine.... I have never open xcode on the macintosh... as It is not clear how you open application that are not on the bottom Icon list... I will need to watch to how tp use an apple laptop...

I did try to make the apple version of this application on visual studio on the macintosh and it was a horror show as i dont know how to use the os and visual studio when i did get my solution on that computer VS showed the application had lots of errors and I also did not know how to right click on that Os. There mouse pad does not work like windows... to I gave up on that...

You say this is stream line... did you see the links i posted (the ones that i tried to follow)?
    They don't say all the things you say try(your info seems more up to date)

Do you or any one know of a proper guide that I can follow? There has tp be something out here that is correct and better than the incorrect information that microsoft provided... It took me into a totally incorrect route.

Q: So to recap... the app that I did get to install may not be installed correctly because I did not use xcode on the machintosh correct?

So what do I need to install in that macintosh ?

Q: Are the microsoft guides incorrect?? Should I continue to follow them or is there a better source??

Thanks again for the guidance.

@JohnHair said:

@AppDev01 said:

I didn't ask you to build the app on the Mac, although you can of course with Visual Studio for Mac. It is a simple version of Visual Studio for windows and is very simple to use.

I expected you already knew what Xcode is. We have to assume a certain level of pre-existing knowledge.

Xcode are Apple's tools for building iOS and Mac apps, and Xamarin uses it internally to build and sign your apps. It is a prerequisite to iOS app development. When you installed your development profiles on your Mac it would have opened Xcode for you at that time. If you run it again it will automatically start downloading and installing if it needs to, and it will show that it is doing that.

Btw this isn't rough around the edges. This is pretty streamlined when you know how your tools work together.

@AppDev01 said:

Ad-Hoc is useful after you already have the app working on a development device. But I don't use Ad-Hoc to deploy the app for user testing, I use TestFlight which uses a Release configuration.

Q: So to recap... the app that I did get to install may not be installed correctly because I did not use xcode on the machintosh correct?

If it works then it works. I have no idea what you have managed to build or how.
    If you have managed to build for iOS and get it onto a device then you have installed the provisioning profiles on the Mac.

Have you managed to debug the app on a real device? E.g. set a break point, step through the code etc.

What made you go for the Ad-Hoc guide? App testing by your users is usually much further down the path then app development. It looks like you went straight to the distribution section and selected Ad-Hoc in the documentation.

Have you been through the Getting Started guide?

I did try to make the apple version of this application on visual studio on the macintosh and it was a horror show as i dont know how to use the os and visual studio when i did get my solution on that computer VS showed the application had lots of errors and I also did not know how to right click on that Os. There mouse pad does not work like windows... to I gave up on that...

It is a horror show because you don't know how to use the tools properly yet. But not knowing how to use the mouse is a 5 second google to resolve, it should be a non issue.

My suggestion is to use the Getting Started guide I posted and don't jump ahead. Also look at the Xamarin University free courses.

hi @JohnHair

Yes... I got the app working in both the Android emulator and in the apple simulator... first and then followed that ad-hoc guide... I went that route as thats what I found online on the microsoft site.. lol..

I mean I would think if you got your app working in the emulators you would then deploy it if it works like you want it?
    I may be missing something...

I feel like base on your comment I may be missing something...
    I will check out that guide. Thanks again for all your help and guidance...

@JohnHair said:

@AppDev01 said:

Ad-Hoc is useful after you already have the app working on a development device. But I don't use Ad-Hoc to deploy the app for user testing, I use TestFlight which uses a Release configuration.

If it works then it works. I have no idea what you have managed to build or how.
    If you have managed to build for iOS and get it onto a device then you have installed the provisioning profiles on the Mac.

Have you managed to debug the app on a real device? E.g. set a break point, step through the code etc.

What made you go for the Ad-Hoc guide? App testing by your users is usually much further down the path then app development. It looks like you went straight to the distribution section and selected Ad-Hoc in the documentation.

Have you been through the Getting Started guide?

It is a horror show because you don't know how to use the tools properly yet. But not knowing how to use the mouse is a 5 second google to resolve, it should be a non issue.

My suggestion is to use the Getting Started guide I posted and don't jump ahead. Also look at the Xamarin University free courses.