Making use of the APK

AppDev01AppDev01 Member ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the past help... so now the app is built the icons are set... and the APK is made... (will be trying this for what seems to be a very complicated apple process very soon as I think I understand what xamarin is attempting... but to be honest... I will admit I don't understand the apple deployment process... we have a dev account but I am guessing I need to copy and paste my source code to visual studio on the mac?)

Any way this question is about installing the apk... currently two devices they I have tried here at the company to install the APK on the apk fails to install.
I am guessing I am not understanding the xamarin target framework option and the the min android version...

THe app is built with targeted frame work set at api 27... with the min android version at api 23 so and droid 8.1 thru 6.0....
I am guessing that the min android option is for show?

My users have android 8.0 on their devices so I thought that range would allow them to install and use the apk...

So far on the devices I have tried to install the apk on they have failed... the only device I can install the apk on is the android emulator I have on the development windows machine I made the application on...

When I selected adhoc on the archive from visual studio and gave it a signing password and all of that stuff...
but on the users devices the apk will not install..

Do I need to step down the target frame work and rewrite this basic app to work on each level of android so for example.. set target frame work and write a xamarin forms for that api level and step down and write on for android 6?

Will I need to do some similar for the apple products as well?

Thanks again guys

Best Answer

• AppDev01AppDev01 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi @YorkGo I just gave up on it... no good Guides Out there.. And xamarin is way too buggy for me to understand. You follow the guides and nothing works so yeah.. i gave up on trying to get the finished app deployed.iT builds but it does not install oh well.. i can show the app in the emulator as a proof of concept...ill have to just pass it off to another dev that may be able to figure it out hopefully.

thanks anyway

@YorkGo said:
    @AppDev01 , is there any updates about this issue?

Answers

• AppDev01AppDev01 Member ✭✭✭

Just to add to this question... I just set up and emulator to run android 8.0 api 26 and the apk installs and runs on the lower level api... so why would a apk install fine on the emulator and not on a actual android device where you allow side loaded application and give the proper access to install adhoc items? I am sure this has to be user error

• YorkGoYorkGo CNMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

What is your project CPU Architectures setting? Did you select arm architecture?

Hello YorkGo,

I have read some many things... some guides state that you have to pick Release and the X86 others say something else its all over the place and nothing work so I selected everything...

armeabi
    armeabi-v7a
    x86
    x86_64
    arm_64-V8a..

i am using visual studio for personal computers not visual studio for the macintosh

the HttpClient implementation is set to android and the ssl/tsl is set to default (native tls 1.2+)

Not sure what any of that means... but that is what I tried...

But I notice that each time I open properties it alway defaults back to x86???

Is xamarin broken for windows visual studio?

is there another C# option I could use to build my application because this sucks!

@YorkGo said:
    What is your project CPU Architectures setting? Did you select arm architecture?

@AppDev01 ,we need to identify whether this issue was caused by the CPU Architectures setting.

First, select all CPU Architectures for you project, deploy your project to your emulator or the real device as you previously did, find the .apk file, located at:

YourXamarinAndroid_Projec_Location\bin\Debug\xxx.apk

Second, extract your .akp file and open its lib folder, it should be something like this:

Accepted Answer

Hi @YorkGo I just gave up on it... no good Guides Out there.. And xamarin is way too buggy for me to understand. You follow the guides and nothing works so yeah.. i gave up on trying to get the finished app deployed.iT builds but it does not install oh well.. i can show the app in the emulator as a proof of concept...ill have to just pass it off to another dev that may be able to figure it out hopefully.

thanks anyway

@YorkGo said: