Has anyone recently begun experiencing random disconnections of the Mac build host?

EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭

Recently (say over the past 2-3 weeks), I have begun experiencing random disconnections of the Mac build host. In Visual Studio on PC, the build host will connect okay, build and debug okay, but when I go back to editing, I will suddenly notice that it has disconnected.

Usually, the build host icon in Visual Studio remains green but the list of run targets goes back to showing the default 'Simulator'. Sometimes, it still shows a real simulator but when I try to build I get an error saying that I need to connect a build host. The only fix seems to be to close and re-open Visual Studio and then reconnect to the build host.

In general, I have found the Mac build host has become terribly unreliable over recent weeks. I have posted a couple of bugs about this but wondered if anyone else is seeing these same problems? The build host is arguably one of the most important components in the Xamarin system and yet it seems to me to be very much the weak link.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Best Answer

• EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GB ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I am still experiencing this problem on 15.9.3. It seems that the answer to my original question is, yes, some people have begun experiencing random disconnections of the build host.

I am currently in the process of testing alpha packages for a Xamarin developer but no fix yet. I will post back when this issue is finally fixed.

If anyone would like the details, this is the latest response I got:

We were able to detect the root cause of the problem, which is that at some point the IDB and Build Agents on the Mac gets disconnected so the messages sent by VS to the Mac (to get simulators, execute MSBuild tasks, etc.) are not handled. The reason why the Agents gets disconnected has been detected, but it's very hard to get a consistent repro on a controled environmet because the Agents are going down almost randonmly after some time of usage.

Answers

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@EasyGoingPat said:
    Recently (say over the past 2-3 weeks), I have begun experiencing random disconnections of the Mac build host. In Visual Studio on PC, the build host will connect okay, build and debug okay, but when I go back to editing, I will suddenly notice that it has disconnected.

Usually, the build host icon in Visual Studio remains green but the list of run targets goes back to showing the default 'Simulator'. Sometimes, it still shows a real simulator but when I try to build I get an error saying that I need to connect a build host. The only fix seems to be to close and re-open Visual Studio and then reconnect to the build host.

In general, I have found the Mac build host has become terribly unreliable over recent weeks. I have posted a couple of bugs about this but wondered if anyone else is seeing these same problems? The build host is arguably one of the most important components in the Xamarin system and yet it seems to me to be very much the weak link.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Hi Pat!
    Yes I've seen that recently too, Im running VS2017 15.8.9. I am seeing this more when flipping to my android startup project to check some work, then flipping back to iOS. Not something that happens a lot, but could be more often than previously.

Cheers
    John

• EasyGoingPatEasyGoingPat GBMember ✭✭✭

This is an example of what I describe above. As you can see in the screenshot, Visual Studio still thinks the build host and simulator are properly connected. When I try to build I get the errors shown. This is an example of one of the warning lines and one of the error lines:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(4187,5): warning MSB3026: Could not copy "obj\Debug\netstandard2.0\Serenocalm.Forms.dll" to "bin\Debug\netstandard2.0\Serenocalm.Forms.dll". Beginning retry 1 in 1000ms. The process cannot access the file 'bin\Debug\netstandard2.0\Serenocalm.Forms.dll' because it is being used by another process. The file is locked by: "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (7608)"

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(4187,5): error MSB3027: Could not copy "obj\Debug\netstandard2.0\Serenocalm.Forms.dll" to "bin\Debug\netstandard2.0\Serenocalm.Forms.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed. The file is locked by: "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (7608)"

This is happening extremely frequently (every few minutes). Any ideas anyone? Xamarin guys?

Please anyone from Xamarin! This is now happening every couple of minutes. I can't work (again!). Any suggestions what I can try or where I can look for clues?

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Hi there!
    Please update to the latest release we shipped earlier today (15.9). It contains quite a few key fixes and improvements around the Mac build agent that will likely resolve your issue.

Thanks!

edited November 2018

@kzu

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have improved things.

I have just installed it, connected successfully, ran a build (which had a coding error of my making), started editing to fix the error, then noticed the build host has got confused again, showing green but having lost all simulators. Screenshot attached.

I thought yesterday I had fixed the problem. In the Mac's network settings, I was using a manual IP address. I changed back to DHCP and rebooted to get a new IP assigned. This did seem to fix the other problem I reported, whereby I could run simulators on the Mac but not remote them to Windows. And it did seem to fix my connection problems for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, usual story: I powered up today and I am back to problems.

And, as I said, 15.9 doesn't seem to have fixed it.

I'm getting pretty desperate with this. Any ideas?

• Patrick

PS - I have just restarted Visual Studio and it auto-connected to the Mac, which is a first. Fingers crossed ...

Accepted Answer

I am still experiencing this problem on 15.9.3. It seems that the answer to my original question is, yes, some people have begun experiencing random disconnections of the build host.

I am currently in the process of testing alpha packages for a Xamarin developer but no fix yet. I will post back when this issue is finally fixed.

If anyone would like the details, this is the latest response I got:

We were able to detect the root cause of the problem, which is that at some point the IDB and Build Agents on the Mac gets disconnected so the messages sent by VS to the Mac (to get simulators, execute MSBuild tasks, etc.) are not handled. The reason why the Agents gets disconnected has been detected, but it's very hard to get a consistent repro on a controled environmet because the Agents are going down almost randonmly after some time of usage.