How to use DisplayAlert from a viewmodel without additional frameworks

I need to launch a DisplayAlert () from the body of a command in my viewmodel, how can I do this without using additional libraries?
I have the idea that it should be done with the MessagingCenter like all these kinds of things but I would like someone more experienced to confirm it and if possible, indicate the correct way to use it without causing loss of memory.

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a MVVM purist so I call DisplayAlert directly in the ViewModel, and I feel fine

• lavilasolavilaso Member ✭✭

@AlessandroCaliaro said:
    I am not a MVVM purist so I call DisplayAlert directly in the ViewModel, and I feel fine

Can you write the way you do it?

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

something like

await Application.Current.MainPage.DisplayAlert("AA", "BB", "Ok");

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@lavilaso

Don't reference the app directly from your view model if possible, if flys in the face of the many benefits of a clear SOC between UI and viewmodel and is anti pattern.

There's a sample here,

https://github.com/mackayn/MVVM-Light-Sample

It's uses MVVM Light's dialog service but just role your own, it's really simple.

Also for example, I had to change all dialogs in out current app, because the original developer designed it correctly and used an interface implementation, I had to change 30 lines of code instead of every every line of dialog related code in the view model. I'm sorry but it's good design, not a purist approach.

This prism sample also shows this concept in action
    https://github.com/mackayn/CrudSample

• AnubhavRanjanAnubhavRanjan INXamarin Team Xamurai

@lavilaso I believe it's better to keep the ViewModel separated from UI.
    However, you can look into this link which explains making use of the MessageCenter approach.
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/22499/looking-to-pop-up-an-alert-like-displayalert-but-from-the-view-model-xamarin-forms-labs

Just in case, you can also look at this Plugin:
    https://github.com/aritchie/userdialogs

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@lavilaso said:
    I need to launch a DisplayAlert () from the body of a command in my viewmodel, how can I do this without using additional libraries?
    I have the idea that it should be done with the MessagingCenter like all these kinds of things but I would like someone more experienced to confirm it and if possible, indicate the correct way to use it without causing loss of memory.

We simply wrap calls to DisplayAlert in our own IAlertHelper and inject that into view models. Easy to mock, easy to unit test.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

You're going to outgrow the simple DisplayAlert quickly. Everyone does. First you get that simple alert going... Then a week later your boss wants different buttons like yes, no, cancel.... then you want to it auto-dismiss after 20 seconds... then you want a different background color {...}

Consider using rg.plugins.popups to make your alerts and other popups. That way you have total control over the look and content. If you start using it from the start of your app you don't have to go in and refactor a bunch of code at a cost of 20 hours.

Tis prism sample > @ClintStLaurent said:

You're going to outgrow the simple DisplayAlert quickly. Everyone does. First you get that simple alert going... Then a week later your boss wants different buttons like yes, no, cancel.... then you want to it auto-dismiss after 20 seconds... then you want a different background color {...}

Consider using rg.plugins.popups to make your alerts and other popups. That way you have total control over the look and content. If you start using it from the start of your app you don't have to go in and refactor a bunch of code at a cost of 20 hours.

Yeah, we went down that route, we have popups for alerts, fancy busy popups, toasts & ActivitySheet, all behind an interface in the base class of course :smile: Works really well.

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭✭

@NMackay do you realize your prism project doesn't have the solution file on the root. I have issues with Git in Visual Studio doing that to me sometimes

@nick5454 said:
    @NMackay do you realize your prism project doesn't have the solution file on the root. I have issues with Git in Visual Studio doing that to me sometimes

Hi,

yeah I do, that solution was knocked in in 3 hours as a coding test for an interview, it was never meant to be shared as a solution :)