Updated doco on how to add a Mac project?

SmartmanAppsSmartmanApps AUMember ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a go at adding a Mac project to my Forms solution for the first time, and I'm finding that the doco appears to be out of date. I've been following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/platform/mac (and some others as well, but all say the same thing) and I'm finding that what is typed there isn't matching up with my intellisense. e.g. the doco says to add "using Xamarin.Forms.Platform.MacOS;" but the closest thing that intellisense comes up with is "using Xamarin.Forms.PlatformConfiguration.macOSSpecific;" - I presume these are the same thing (the latter is a newer version of the former)? There are other differences too where intellisense fails to find what they have typed which gives me no confidence at all with getting this working. Is there some updated doco on this somewhere? It appears to have changed somewhat since the initial release of Mac support (I can't find anything newer than last year on this topic).

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Since you are using Xamarin.Forms, I'm going to move you to the correct forum section (this area is for using Xamarin.Mac directly).

Consider also opening a bug (https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/new?template=bug_report.md) noting the documentation is out of date.

• SmartmanAppsSmartmanApps AUMember ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Thanks for replying @ChrisHamons.

While I was waiting for a reply, I had what I thought was a good idea, which would be to start a new project in VS4Mac, which would then presumably add iOS, Android, and Mac projects for me (since VS raises ones for iOS, Android and UWP), and then I could see for myself directly what the neccessary code was, but alas I found that it only does iOS and Android. Is this an oversight, or is there a reason that VS4Mac doesn't include Mac in new projects?

Anyway, I can certainly go raise an issue also. Thanks again for your response. :-)