Add older IOS simulator on Visual Studio 2017

Liuk88Liuk88 ITMember ✭✭✭

Hello guys, I have tested a Xamarin Forms app into a IPhone 4S and it didn't work as expected (I can't see a listview and other things).
Since i tried the app in many simulators (like 6S, 8) and it works, I would like really to understand if the problem is the Iphone 4S, so I tried to install the simulator in Xcode (this worked, now I can launch the 4S simulator).
Final step from my windows pc, after pairing to the Mac, I CANT SEE my Iphone 4 simulator on the visual studio simulator list.
What I need to do in order to test the app in 4S simulator? I tried to change in the .plist the deployment target to 9.0 (should be enough since the Iphone have 9.3.5) but still same situation, the 4S simulator not showing in the list and i can't test on it..
Please someone can help me to understand this?
Thanks a lot

Best Answer

• Liuk88Liuk88 IT ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@AnubhavRanjan said:
    @Liuk88 Can you try to set the Supported Architecture to i386 + x86_64? Then try to see if you are able to see the iPhone 4S Simulator

I see different architectures:

Am I missing something?

Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2018

After I downloaded iOS 9.0 Simulator and set Deployment Target to 9.0

i can see iphone4S simulator appear in XCode or Visual studio for mac

However ,when i check it in visual studio on windows.

When i first open simulator drop-down list

When i click device , iPhone 4S shows up.

When i select iPhone 4S , it shows iPhone XR

I have reported it here : https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/4618 , let's wait for response.

• Liuk88Liuk88 ITMember ✭✭✭

Hello Colex, sad to hear this, but let's wait for a response.
    Thanks for the reply

• AnubhavRanjanAnubhavRanjan INXamarin Team Xamurai

@Liuk88 It seems like the issue was filed in the wrong place and hence it's been closed already

Can you try and file the issue from within the Visual Studio?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/how-to-report-a-problem-with-visual-studio-2017?view=vs-2017

Filing the issue from within Visual Studio would automatically send the required logs for the Engineering Team to look into it.

Thanks

@Liuk88 Can you also share your Project to test it out?
    In case needed, you can see if it can be reproduced for you in a new Project.

@Liuk88 @ColeX I tested this against a Test App and when I selected iPhone 4s iOS 9.0, it worked without any issues.
    Can you share your project for us to test it once?

@AnubhavRanjan said:
    @Liuk88 @ColeX I tested this against a Test App and when I selected iPhone 4s iOS 9.0, it worked without any issues.
    Can you share your project for us to test it once?

Hi Anubhav, sorry for my late answer, first of all I solved my app problem, but I didn't manage to show that simulator so that problem persists.
    It's not a problem of project, I tried now with a new test project and I have the same problem.
    I'll try to provide more details:

• I have a Mac with Xcode and I installed in it two older simulators: IPhone 4s (8.3) and IPhone 4s (9.3)
    • In Windows, I paired the Mac from Visual Studio.
    • When I try to test a project on IPhone 4s simulator, it is not showing, in particular: if I search the simulator from the list, I don't see the simulator (see image)

if i select (like Colex said) Device and reopen the list, I see the simulator (see image)

but (like him) if I click it it opens IPhone 8 IOS 11.3 (another simulator)

In IOS project, in the Info.plist file, I tried to set MinimumOSVersion to 8.3 or 9.3 but seems to change anything.
    Do I need further configuration?

@Liuk88 Can you try to set the Supported Architecture to i386 + x86_64? Then try to see if you are able to see the iPhone 4S Simulator

Accepted Answer

@AnubhavRanjan said:

I see different architectures:

Am I missing something?

@Liuk88 You have selected the Platform as iPhone rather than iPhoneSimulator

That was what I missed, now it's woking thanks! Just a question, it is necessary to set the deployment target to 9.0 in this step? Or is just a property for release in order to tell: "this app will be supported from IOS 9.0?".

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2018

@AnubhavRanjan Thanks , after setting Architectures , it works fine now .

it is necessary to set the deployment target to 9.0 in this step? Or is just a property for release in order to tell: "this app will be supported from IOS 9.0?".

It is.
    Because the maximun support ios version for iPhone4S is 9.0 , so the iPhone4S simulator will never show up until we make our app support 9.0 .

Refer Maximum Supported iOS Version

Yeah that's what you guys had missed initially. Glad that it's resolved now :smile: