Missing Templates in Visual Studio 2017

MarkGrahamMarkGraham USMember ✭✭

I am watching your video on Webinar Recording | Introduction to Xamarin with Visual Studio and 10:22 shows the following templates available:

But my Visual Studio only shows three templates:

1) Cross Platform App (Xamarin.Forms or Native)
2) Class Library (Xamarin.Forms)
3) UI Test App ((Xamarin.UI Test | Native)

I am using Visual Studio 2017, full licensed.

What do I need to do?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MarkGrahamMarkGraham US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Window 10 Emulator Anniversary Edition became available when I upgraded to Window Profession.
    Thanks.

I don't know if that requirement is mentioned, but I know it now.

Accepted Answer

I have to switch to the Google Android Emulator.

Here's the emulator I created:

Accepted Answer

Just trying to answer the last question.

Answers

• MarkGrahamMarkGraham USMember ✭✭

I also have fewer emulators than in the video.
    Video:

Mine:

I am using VS Enterprise at work and Community at home.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like they installed the Visual Studio Emulator for Android in the video and you didn't.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@DirkWilhelm said:
    Looks to me like they installed the Visual Studio Emulator for Android in the video and you didn't.

Yes @MarkGraham , you will have to reinstall VS emulators for Android specifically for VS2017 even if you have done for VS2015.

How do I install VS emulators for Android

Dirk,

I tried to do what you suggested, but here are the options available when I tried to install through Visual Studio 2017:

Also, when I create a basic app, (File | New | Project | Visual C# | Cross Platform | Cross Platform App (Xameran.Forms or Native) | Blank App-Native-PCL) and compile and debug through F5, I get:

I am very dedicated to learning this programming system. If I can get the setup right, I will be off and running.

Thanks.

@MarkGraham Are you by chance installing on a Windows 7 machine? When I installed VS2017 on a Windows 7 machine the emulators (both UWP & Android) were not installed. VS Emulators for Android needs Hyper-V. So if your machine can't cater to it the emulators will not be installed. Here I meant VS2017 Community edition.

Unfortunately on my Win10 machine I have VS2017 Enterprise which allowed everything. So I can't compare with it.

But I don't know if the Community Edition allows those emulators at all to be installed.

I am on a Windows 10 machine. I'll post the build number when I get home.
    I really need to get this system installed properly so I can begin development.

I am using windows 10 Home. Build 1703. OS Build: 15063.260.

Can some one help deal with the deployment error?

Thank you. I will upgrade to Window Proessional.

Accepted Answer

Window 10 Emulator Anniversary Edition became available when I upgraded to Window Profession.
    Thanks.

I don't know if that requirement is mentioned, but I know it now.

• RaviKant.2943RaviKant.2943 INMember ✭✭

I updated windows 7 to windows 10 pro, yet getting the same problem as MarkGraham had.
    After making Cross platform app got deployement error message

Accepted Answer

I have to switch to the Google Android Emulator.

Here's the emulator I created:

Whta's happening to this thread? Its heading is "Missing Templates...". Now we are discussing Android Emulators. Also this contains lot of posts marked as ANSWERS.

I request moderators to close this thread so that it is not abused...

Accepted Answer

Just trying to answer the last question.

• Le_BeluetLe_Beluet CAMember

You need to dowload the additional template from online

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@Le_Beluet said:
    You need to dowload the additional template from online

This is not true. This is just an additional template pack that is not required to development with Xamarin.

The original poster was confused because the template naming and organization changed, no templates were actually missing. :)

• Le_BeluetLe_Beluet CAMember
    edited August 2017

ok noted. I did try to answer this question What do I need to do (to get these additional template)?

• uwantfriesuwantfries GBBeta ✭✭

@JohnMiller said:
    @MarkGraham,

Sorry for the confusion! The templates recently got an upgrade and they changed to what you see now. You can select that first template and you will get a wizard dialog to customize what you are making.

I hope that helps!

What happens when the wizard does not load (VS2015)? I just get dumped into the solution with the PCL but no chance to choose Android/iOS etc

I am using Visual Studio 2015 v 14.0.25431.01 Update 3 and this is what the templates look like to me:

• sscottosscotto Member ✭✭

Hi guys, i just download VS 2017 Community and added the "Mobile Development with .Net" with all optional, i cant find the Xamarin.Forms template, i got the xamarin.android, xamarin.ios templates, but not a blanc template for xamarin.forms.

In Visual C# --> Cross-Platform i only got the UI Test App.

Do i have to install anything more?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@sscotto
    Do i have to install anything more?

Probably.
    http://redpillxamarin.com/2018/03/12/2018-101-vs2017-new-solution/

As I point out there.. Install everything. Every last workload... Every checkbox option... every extra... leave nothing uncheck or uninstalled... everything including the kitchen sink.

haha thx Clint, i am repairing now (didnt know what more to do), after that i will install everything in VS, even the unity 3D xD.

Funny thing, yesterday i did use a Xamarin.Forms template, even i got the proyect on the "recent proyects" but when i click it says "Template is not installed", dont really know what happened.
    I am reinstalling all now.

I just ended repairing VS 2017 Community and the "Xamarin.Forms" template just appear :), dont really know what happened, thx for the help!

• LindsayMilesLindsayMiles CAMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

@ClintStLaurent Hello, (and @JamesMontemagno if you happen to catch this)

I know this is old but seems people are still having this issue of missing templates.

I've installed everything, kitchen sink and all... VS 2017 version 15.9.1 + all updates

On the StartPage on VS, I get this:

When I select the cross-platform option, I get this:

If I go to New Project dialogue, I get this - cross-platform app (Xamarin) missing:

That's IF I want to use the template...

Regardless of THAT error, I have a XF app targeting iOS and Android using SQLite db locally. I want to now build in the Azure sync functionality. So, without the cross-platform project, what VS project template can/should I use to add to my solution to get what the cross-platform project/solution templates is supposed to give me?

Can't get the &%$(*&! cross-platform template installed so was wondering if there a work around JUST FOR the Azure service project that'll build the scaffold as does said cross-platform template...

Makes sense?

Please advise. Anyone?

Thanks

• DaniyalSaleemDaniyalSaleem Member
    edited November 2018

@LindsayMiles go to the Tool>Extension and Updates then enable the xamarin Templates hopefully your problem solve ;)