Main app with additional another app

SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz USMember ✭✭✭

Say, you have an iOS app which is fully functional. Then you need to add a feature but it will make the app way too large. So you decide to design the feature to be as a second app which the user can download and install separately but this second app has no stand alone functionality. I mean it is useless without the main app. The main app will start the second app by throwing a URL scheme with some custom parameters. Then the second app starts as the user wants.

Question is, how can you publish the second app in the App Store which can't be used alone?

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I don't recommend you to do that. An individual app should has its own usage not working for other apps. What you want is like an extension app in some way. But apple has its own types of Extension apps.
    Also apple will not allow a blank app to be published to the App Store. As the policy is every screen should not be blank and every navigation should be useful.
    Why do you want to do that? Apple will not limit your app's package size. If the user hasn't downloaded the second app, the first app will be stuck too. This is not a good user experience. And suggesting user downloading another app is also prohibited by Apple.

• SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz USMember ✭✭✭

Land,
    The main reason is that the feature I need to add uses a large framework file (please fallow the link. The MobileRTC file is the file I'm referring to) I can not import into a Xamarin iOS project. If I could I would gladly combine the two apps together.

Would you mint taking a look and give me a hint on how to use that framework file in a Xamarin iOS project?

https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-ios/tree/master/lib/MobileRTC.framework

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@SuatKorkmaz You can try to use Binding Library to consume an iOS library in Xamarin.
    Follow this documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/platform/binding-objective-c/ to achieve that.