Mono Runtime in Windows

This is probably a ridiculously easy thing that I am missing, but I can't add the Mono runtimes to Xamarin.
I'm using Windows 7 (64-bit), and I've installed Mono to the default location.

I have found the menu under Options -> Projects -> .NET Runtimes, but I don't know which folder it wants me to select to add Mono.
I've tried "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono" and a few folders under it, but I always get the error message "Mono runtime not found".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai
    edited January 2015

Which Mono version do you have installed?

I have the older Mono 3.2.3 installed and pointing Xamarin Studio at the base Mono folder works. I installed Mono 3.2.3 as non-admin so the Mono installation was under my user profile here:

%LocalAppData%\Novell\Mono-3.2.3

The Mono runtime not found error can occur if one of the checks Xamarin Studio makes in the MonoRuntimeInfo class fails.

• WobattWobatt GBMember

I'm using 3.12.0.
    Looking through that code I confirmed that I was trying to use the correct directory.
    I stepped through the process manually, and it failed at mono.exe --version, giving an error message about missing msvcr120.dll.
    Reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (x86) has fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help!

• batcatbatcat IEMember, Beta

Hi there

I have a similar problem, however there is no folder called %LocalAppData%\Novell but I checked on %LocalAppData%\xamarin and others and there is no mono.exe (however I do have Xamarin Studio with android running on my machine )
    I would appreciate any pointers on this :)

Do you have Mono installed? There is a separate installer for Windows.

The latest versions of the Mono installer install into Program Files and not under the user profile.

• GSalunkheGSalunkhe INMember ✭✭

@mattward : Should we install mono externally using link given by you, I mean will it be breaking the existing setup of mono with VisualStudio 2017.

@GSalunkhe This is an old forum post about Xamarn Studio. I am not aware of any integration of Mono with Visual Studio 2017. Installing Mono on Windows using the installer will likely affect an existing Mono installation.

• GSalunkheGSalunkhe INMember ✭✭

Thanks for information