Deploy an iOS app to limited number of devices?

mshwfmshwf EGMember ✭✭✭

Hi,
I want some limited number of iOS devices to be apple to install the app, what are the available options?
is it possible to just use a service like diawi.com for that purpose, with development profile?
do I still need the paid apple developer account?
thanks.

Answers

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

You can use eg. Hockey App (or the Visual Studio AppCenter that replaces the HockeyApp) or diawi.com rather than AppStore. But you still need Apple Developer Account as you need to generate the signing certificate and provisioning profile. I think you can't build a Xamarin IOS app without that.

• mshwfmshwf EGMember ✭✭✭

@JiriMatejka said:
    You can use eg. Hockey App (or the Visual Studio AppCenter that replaces the HockeyApp) or diawi.com rather than AppStore. But you still need Apple Developer Account as you need to generate the signing certificate and provisioning profile. I think you can't build a Xamarin IOS app without that.

Isn't the free developer account sufficient for that purpose?
    the limitations listed here mention:

Provisioning profiles created with free provisioning will expire after one week, and signing identities will expire after one year.

is that mean that devices with the installed app won't be able to run the app after that period ?

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

Don't have an experience with free account, but from the description it looks promising. I would say it will work ok. If the provisioning profile expires then the user can still use the app but if you need to make a new build you need to create the provisioning profile again.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

Regardless you need an Apple provisioning profile and your restricted to about 200 devices for testing etc for a development profile (the device UDID's need to be in the profile, AppCenter helps with that). If you want to distribute ad-hoc/side loading you need to apply for an ad-hoc enterprise profile, otherwise you have to deploy to the store or invest in an MDM platform.

Dev certificates are temporarily signed, you need to redeploy after x days, depends on the platform. The app won't run once the dev signing key expires.

• meepoumeepou FRMember ✭✭

If it's for testing you can use TestFlight