No Debug display, and breakpoints are all resolved... Can't debug.

I can't get breakpoints to break and I'm using Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8.9

Resolved pending breakpoint at 'Main.cs:92,1' to void TLXStatus.iOS.ApplicationToDo.Main (string[] args) [0x0010e].
Resolved pending breakpoint at 'Main.cs:143,1' to void TLXStatus.iOS.ApplicationToDo.Main (string[] args) [0x001c8].
Resolved pending breakpoint at 'Main.cs:145,1' to void TLXStatus.iOS.ApplicationToDo.Main (string[] args) [0x001e5].

and I can't get anything to display using Debug.Writeline

Any ideas?

Answers

• RobertAuerRobertAuer USMember ✭✭

I appreciate the link - but this "solution" is quite extraordinary. Why doesn't MS fix this so it actually works like it should??

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Could you try updating to the stable releases we shipped earlier today and try again? Please do let me know if this still reproduces.

If it does, please use the Send Feedback from within Visual Studio, and send me (kzu at microsoft dot com) the resulting feedback item URL.

Thanks!

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited November 2018

@kzu - I'm on 15.9 and see no debug output in VS2017's Output window for iOS. After a while, VS2017 reports that the app has been terminated, although it clearly hasn't. I'm guessing that a connection used for debugging on iOS is not connecting and after a timeout period is reached VS2017 reports that the app has been terminated. Just a guess. I first encountered this on 15.8 and upgraded to 15.9 in the hope that this had been fixed.

One thought - is it possible that a firewall, whether Windows or Symantec, could be blocking a connection required for debugging on a physical iOS device from Visual Studio on Windows? Are there firewall requirements beyond those listed at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/cross-platform/get-started/installation/firewall ?

edited November 2018

@kzu @RobertAuer @ColeX

Finally got the debugger working again, on both Android and iOS. I'm not sure what fixed it in the end, but I have my suspicions. I usually run Visual Studio Community edition, even though I have Visual Studio Enterprise. For one particular task, I started up Enterprise and found that the license had expired. I logged in again, then shut it down. It may be coincidence, but suddenly Community edition's debugging is working. I'm not going to tempt the gods any more by investigating further, but if anybody else is having problems getting Visual Studio to debug either Android or iOS builds, try logging in to Visual Studio again...

I did also do a complete refresh of all NuGet packages for the entire solution, removed references to one package that had vanished from NuGet and coded up the functionality instead. However, my suspicion is that did not affect the debugging issue, even though it was a useful exercise to go through.

• RobertAuerRobertAuer USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Thanks @JohnHardman - I don't have Enterprise edition - but I'll try your solution and see if it works.

edited November 2018

@RobertAuer said:
    Thanks @JohnHardman - My company here doesn't provide Enterprise edition - did the changes that you made using the Enterprise version "trickle down" to the Community edition?

That's my suspicion - that the updated login was recognised by both Enterprise and Community, whether by my roaming profile or otherwise. It's only a suspicion though - I have no evidence to back it up without investing time that I want to spend doing other things.

Even without Enterprise, you could try logging out of Visual Studio and logging back in.

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Ugh, that's really odd @JohnHardman! The may be a lingering "Xamarin login" if you have kept upgrading, I guess. I was pretty sure it was all gone, but I'll investigate further. It would be great for tracking purposes if you reported this as a feedback ticket nevertheless, since it will also benefit others searching for the same issue.

Thanks for reporting back!