What's the relationship between the Xamarin and .Net Core?

huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

Looks like I still confuse about the relationship between the Xamarin and .Net Core. Is there anyone could explain it? (It's very helpful if put some Image in it).

I'm searching some way for use WCF Duplex channel, and I found this:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/198609#Comment_198609

The guy David Hunt said Xamarin will support it after Microsoft .Net Core finish, so currently problem is not about Xamarin.

That let me thought the Xamarin based on .Net Core,

After that I ask .Net Core team about the Duplex channel, they said it could use now: https://github.com/dotnet/wcf/issues/1#issuecomment-220971464

But looks like I still can't use it in Xamarin. After that I found Xamarin use mono for Android, I don't know use what framework of IOS(maybe someone could tell me, thanks).

Also in the first link David Hunt said As far as I know, Xamarin hasn't completed the switch to .NET Core. And that let me confuse again.

So Is there anyone could tell me relationship between the Xamarin and .Net Core? also what framework Xamarin currently using for all platform? who do we contact if we want a problem or new request ? (like WCF Duplex channel)

Best Answer

Answers

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy David Hunt said "I'm not sure. As far as I know...". He also said "I could be wrong". Don't be quoting me like my answers are the final word. :wink:

• huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

@DaveHunt said:
    The guy David Hunt said "I'm not sure. As far as I know...". He also said "I could be wrong". Don't be quoting me like my answers are the final word. :wink:

Ok, then please let the other people said the correct answer. I also hope if you don't sure please don't answer, that's more helpful.

That's fine, but if you recall, you specifically addressed me with your question in that thread. I responded honestly that I wasn't sure and gave my opinion.

If you don't want me to respond to a post, then I would suggest you not address me directly with your question.

Have a nice day.

@DaveHunt said:
    That's fine, but if you recall, you specifically addressed me with your question in that thread. I responded honestly that I wasn't sure and gave my opinion.

If you don't want me to respond to a post, then I would suggest you not address me directly with your question.

Have a nice day.

@DaveHunt said:

Have a nice day.

I just thought maybe there is a lot of people don't know or not sure about the relationship like you or me, or any other people. I just pointed out that, there is no any offence. Also thank you.

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 DEMember ✭✭

But honestly, forget about WCF. WCF is old and written for a bygone era. WCF Duplex channel support for Xamarin will be available eventually. But by then it will be even more dead.

@TobiasSchulz.9796 said:
    I wonder how you can be confused about Xamarin and .NET Core. Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS are based on Mono. And Mono is replacing more and more classes with Microsoft's implementations, but the Xamarin runtimes aren't switching to .NET Core any time soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programmerchat/comments/4dxpcp/i_am_miguel_de_icaza_i_started_xamarin_mono_gnome/d1vb11n

There are no technical reasons that I am aware of, any technical issue can be solved.
    The question is whether solving certain technical problems make sense for users.
    For example, we could switch to .NET Core completely, but it would come at the cost of not fixing bugs, or doing the must-have work on the mobile platforms for a couple of years.
    So instead we are converging gradually in the places that would deliver value with our users on an ongoing basis.
    In the long term, they will be indistinguishable from each other.

.Net core and Mono.......Great...Looks like we're still need to swimming in the multiple framework pool for many years again.....

You could always go back to Java for Android, Objective-C for iOS, and C# for Windows Phone. That's much better. :neutral:

@DaveHunt said:
    You could always go back to Java for Android, Objective-C for iOS, and C# for Windows Phone. That's much better. :neutral:

But I want to support Xamarin and choice this way for the future.

But current situation looks like If some feature on the Xamarni, .Net core hasn't , if some feature implement on .Net core, Xamarin doesn't. That's really painful. WCF Duplex channel is a good example. So basic feature what we need, now we could only use the old school http way...

• Matthew.4307Matthew.4307 USMember ✭✭✭

I've raised bugs against mono and the official response was that they aren't going to be fixed due to moving to NET Core. Xamarin don't know what they are doing in this area.

@Matthew.4307 said:
    I've raised bugs against mono and the official response was that they aren't going to be fixed due to moving to NET Core. Xamarin don't know what they are doing in this area.

Actually I agree move mono to .net core, because .net core grown speed very fast. WCF for example, .net core already almost done most feature, Xamarin still even Duplex channel not finished.

• AaronSalisburyAaronSalisbury USMember
    edited October 2017
    I'm pretty sure Xamarin and .Net Core are both .Net Standard compliant so you should be able to share .Net Standard libraries between the two. By my estimate an ideal use case would be a models library that you can use with your MVC web app and your MVVM mobile apps.
  • C# is a programming language, just like Python or Java.

.NET is a runtime environment which runs programs compiled for it, just like JVM or JRE. This is also a framework defining libraries, configuration system, code access policies, app domains etc.

Xamarin is a toolkit that helps develop mobile applications for iOS and Android platforms using C# language.

Obviously, my answer is much simplified in order to get you started to dig more into any specific area as you want to learn. Given the nature of the question being at a very high level, this answer is aimed to give you the sense of each one of these.