Multi Cursor Selection?

Is is on the roadmap to support multiple cursors (a la Sublime Text)? Is there a plugin out there that adds this?

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai

No that's not supported nor planned.

You're showing a good example of what that is used for in sublime text - we have the 'link mode' to solve this use case. Try to rename a parameter or local variable in C# and you'll see what I mean.

• PierPier MXMember

@MikeKrger said:

What a shame.

The Xamarin Studio code editor is a real pain to use compared to Sublime Text, Atom, or even Visual Studio Code. No multiple cursors. No cmd + D to find the next occurrence. No column edition. No package manager for extending the editor. And a very long etcetera.

It seems rather odd that you would ignore on purpose the new paradigm in text edition set by Sublime Text.

If you are not going to offer a top of the line editor inside Xamarin Studio you should at least work on an integration with Visual Studio Code. OSX users don't have access to Visual Studio.

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai

We've find next occurrence as command (it's just a matter of config to bind it to cmd+d).
    And we've column editing (hold down alt during selection). And we've an addin manager for extending the IDE and editor.

Ok multiple carets are not supported right now - but that's more because I'm not really seeing many use cases. Many use cases are covered by our inline mode. For the rest we've the block selection/editing. So there is not much I can imagine multiple caret help in any way.

• TPlayTPlay USMember

One reason I like multi-cursor is so I can have multiple line edits with each line having just one thing in common shown in the image. I want to remove all lines with "Register" but I can't search and locate all these lines because they're all different apart from one key word.

• DARKGuyDARKGuy CRMember ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I'm ging to necropost here to say that, in 2017, I still find this feature useful and I find it a shame that it's not supported or planned (right?). I also have the same use case as TPlay, and while Cmd+R is useful when you -do- have types, I'd like to have the same functionality for non-typed stuff.

For instance, I'm doing some refactoring and I removed a class used as a type for like 50 fields in some classes which needs to be replaced with an int[] array, so, since Xamairn can't find the class, it doesn't allow me to Rename (Cmd+R) MyClass to int[] so I have to switch between Xamarin and Sublime Text or VSCode every so often.

You know, since Xamarin uses GTK and Sublime Text does too, I was expecting this basic functionality in 2017 at least.

Column editing is similar to what I want, but sometimes you don't have the code right in columns, like TPlay shows in his screenshot.

Is there a way to extend the editor? with an addin or something?

Hope to see some support for this soon :)

• karlingenkarlingen Member ✭✭

How about now? :)

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@karlingen and anyone else who might be following this thread and interested: it'd be great if you'd be open to adding or following/voting for a Visual Studio for Mac UserVoice suggestion for features you'd like to see. Aggregating vote counts and comments there will be one of the most effective ways for us to measure demand.

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@karlingen opened a UserVoice suggestion here - thank you!

• dkunkerrdsdkunkerrds Member

@Pier said:

@MikeKrger said:

What a shame.

Here we are almost two years later. What a shame indeed.

Can we (the community) somehow develop an extension that does exactly this?
    Is it possible with current VS for Mac API?

What bothers me the most is that this functionality already exists in Vistual Studio Code, but not in Visual Studio for Mac.

There's also no way to extend this with an extension since the API is very limited.

And now it is implemented in Visual Studio for windows!

The suggestion has now been migrated to https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351843/multiple-selection-with-the-keyboard.html

Feel free to upvote if you'd like to support this feature.