App localization (Best way)

AndreiMisiukevich_AndreiMisiukevich_ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys
I wonder, it there any pretty solution for localizing apps?

So, currently if we want to support several languages (for example En, Ru, Nl etc.) we will have to create 3 files (resx, json etc)
It's very well, if your company has got 3 native speakers for these languages, they will do all work.
But what should we don't have them? Yes, we will sent these files for translators. But there is a problem, they won't see the context of that texts. They will have just one file (Key-Value). It can cause some troubles with wrong translation, can't it?

Any ideas, approaches?

Tagged:

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Contract a language teacher from the local community college to come by your office for a day or two to work with your developers. That way they can see it, for context.

• AndreiMisiukevich_AndreiMisiukevich_ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Contract a language teacher from the local community college to come by your office for a day or two to work with your developers. That way they can see it, for context.

good approach.
    But what should we do if product is still in development?

For example we have 300 lines for translation to 3 languages. After 1-2 months we will have 310 lines and one new language (Let's imagine it).

I don't think, that they will want to come for 1-10 lines of texts (or they will want more $ then they actually will work). Hope it's clear =)

There is https://help.smartling.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007947434-Mobile-Context
    But i'm not sure that it supports Xamarin (and Xamarin.Forms exactly)
    Also it's too expensive..

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Now we're just getting into how to do business... how to negotiate.
    Maybe negotiate with someone to be your designated person for this kind of work. Sign them to an NDA so you can send them the app. And work out a fixed price for once-a-month updates to the translation files.
    In exchange for a negotiated rate they will be the person for all of your apps to be developed over the next 3 years.
    Just first thoughts off the top of my head.

• knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

Hey Andrei, I'm curious, what do you use for Xamarin.Forms app localization? I ask because I'm going to add localization in my app soon and I'm not sure what to use. Does anybody use Vernacular(https://github.com/rdio/vernacular) these days?

> @knocte said:
    > Hey Andrei, I'm curious, what do you use for Xamarin.Forms app localization? I ask because I'm going to add localization in my app soon and I'm not sure what to use. Does anybody use Vernacular(https://github.com/rdio/vernacular) these days?

Resx files would be great approach, I think.
    But we use custom solution with localization service